Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
hey Jake... Looks like I may be building a tracker soon :flipoff2: same color and everything!

Oh no! If you do give me a holler. I'd let you know some things I'd change if we were to build ours again. Also check out some of the builds that Mike Hagen and his buds have done. I really wanted to boat side ours and dove tail it as well.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Congrats Jake, I'm glad to see that you and the rig are doing good. I just wish I could say I helped build that thing. It's so weird but in a good way. I just love that little bute.
It was fun to build with everyone. Sure wish you would have been there as well.Jake

It's a $%&#@ Geo! :flipoff2:

It has been fun competing with you guys. You better watch it though. We are going to be ready next time.
Seriously it has been great fun having the scores as close as they have been. Really makes it enjoyable for eveybody. Just glad we are all working our way closer to Derek. Really I think us, you and Travis, and the Kyles have a good shot at beating Derek. We just need to stay focused and run the best courses we can. I honestly want everyone to run great courses and have a good time. It's just how I am, Thats why I don't have any problem sharing our thoughts on the course or things we might try. :D

For you guys that have not been to an RRock comp you are really missing out. I now see why Ken Blume and others really push the series because it really a well thought out event. The courses are very challenging, the judges are great and the competitors and spectators are all awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Scott & Jake,
It really makes it fun this year to have some other friendly competitors around. We also like to see the scores close. I would be happier if we would tie for 1st and not 3rd all the time! It was a lot of fun knowing that going into the last 2 courses, there were 9 points from 1st to 4th. We also don't have a problem talking about different lines. There are still some we keep to ourselves because we haven't had them cleared by the Marshall yet. he usually tells us no, but we try. It is interesting seeing the lines you guys can take that we can't being 12" longer. I'm looking forward to the next event and seeing how close the scores can be again. Could make for a great series finish.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have seen your rig out at Hannibal the last two times I was there, once at WEROCK and once at RROCK. I never see anyone around it though. I wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed the build up. I drove one of these in HS and NEVER thought that someone would be doing what you are with one. Great job and good luck with your competitions. :D

Dave

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have seen your rig out at Hannibal the last two times I was there, once at WEROCK and once at RROCK. I never see anyone around it though. I wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed the build up. I drove one of these in HS and NEVER thought that someone would be doing what you are with one. Great job and good luck with your competitions. :D

Dave
Thanks! We usually have red RBR shirts on. Just holler at us we love to BS. :)
:D

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Very impressed with this team.
Derek West and Ritchie Keller have been competing and working together for several years always finishing at the top in WEROCK and RROCK.
(Remember, they have never lost an Eastern WEROCK, finished 2nd in only one RROCK event and finished 2nd in the 2006 Grand Nationals AND are the most winning Rockcrawl team ever/anywhere!)
You guys have been neck to neck with them on a consistent basis like no other team has.
AND...you are great people/with the right attitude...your years of glory are just beginning and we are very proud that they are beginning with RROCK!

See everyone in August as this exciting series continues!

Debbie

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Derek West and Ritchie Keller have been competing and working together for several years always finishing at the top in WEROCK and RROCK.
(Remember, they have never lost an Eastern WEROCK, finished 2nd in only one RROCK event and finished 2nd in the 2006 Grand Nationals AND are the most winning Rockcrawl team ever/anywhere!)
You guys have been neck to neck with them on a consistent basis like no other team has.
AND...you are great people/with the right attitude...your years of glory are just beginning and we are very proud that they are beginning with RROCK!

Debbie
That hurts Debbie! :D I wish we could finish the day like we start it. We would be doing great if we would just run 2 courses! As has been said a million times over, RROCK is one of the best series to compete in. Everyone is friendly and willing to help each other out if needed.

We will beat that #($&#^@ Geo soon.

·
Vendor
1,368 Posts
Debbie,
We are proud to be a part of RROCK. We cannot say thank you enough to yourself, Tom, and the rest of the staff. We are having a great time and can't wait to come back, so we are coming out this weekend to play.
See you Saturday.

Scott
(spotter for the #($&#^@ Geo)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

Debbie
Thanks Debbie! We are proud to be a part of RROCK. We really appreciate the venue that you guys have built for us to have fun!

That hurts Debbie! :D I wish we could finish the day like we start it. We would be doing great if we would just run 2 courses! As has been said a million times over, RROCK is one of the best series to compete in. Everyone is friendly and willing to help each other out if needed.

We will beat that #($&#^@ Geo soon.
Yeah I was bummed when I heard you guys got that last cone on B4. You guys had a solid run going and a very nice day overall too. You guys will get it all together at the same time soon I am sure. Jake

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
RRock Update Event #3
Once again I would like to thank all of our sponsors for their help this season. EXPERT OFFROAD, Trailtough, Superwinch and Rancho! Without your support we would not have been able to pull this off.
We once again found ourselves in the 2nd place slot. The courses were brutal with the rain everyone fought to finish the courses. We were only one of two teams that completed 3 of the 5 courses. We were able to beat Derek west by about 40 points but still fell 7 points shy of a win to Kyle Bruso. We started the day off testing out some of our new communication gear. Thanks to Jason and Adam who had to eat a bunch of fruit to complete this project!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Our first course was one of the easier courses of the day and looked fairly harmless. With a short steep downhill into the bonus line we had to come back up the rocks with muddy tires and ended up running low on time and used momentum to make up the lack of traction and time.

We did finish the course but took a cone in the momentum of getting through the rocks. We still finished the course with a -9.

The second course had not been completed by any that had tried by those in front of us in the order. We had to make yet another decent to the bottom of the quarry and then make our way back to the top. The ledge at the top had given those who had made it that far, a lot of trouble. Here we are dropping down the ledge at the top.

We went in to the course with the plan to take the bonus and make it as far as possible and as soon as we got hung up to winch. Everything went well and we started winching about half way up the hill. As we made it to the ledge we started to slide off to the side where we eventually became stuck as others in our group would do following us. Our Superwinch proved to be strong enough but the cable was not up to the task of the pull as it snapped just before time expired on the course.

Course 3 would be a good one. It also started with a drop off of ledge and the bonus took you around for a loop down another drop and back up.

A short off camber side hill took you directly into the large rock garden that would eventually be named the “HOLE”. We got hung up a couple of times with muddy tires and worked out way through the first one and used some more throttle on the second to squeak out of the gates with very little time remaining. We ended up with the second best score of the course for the day following Kyle Bruso who had the first run of the course and it just got worse as the day went.

Course 4 was running course 3 backwards. Back through the Hole.

We started out great into the course and worked our way into the hole with out too much trouble. However the huge rock in the middle of the course we were just unable to navigate. Scott stacked rocks feverishly and I hit it with everything we had, several times, but to no avail.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The 5th course really helped our morale with a great finish for the day. We started with a tough uphill climb made of loose rock that would allow you to dig in if momentum was lost. We made it to the top with out much trouble and made a good turn at the top to come back down. A break-over rock at the top had many people hung up and I knew I needed momentum to clear without getting crooked on the course. Well we cleared the rock but slide sideways and took a gate. A short drop down a near vertical ledge

had us working our way through the rock-garden back to the bottom. One last bonus set of cones after the course was done was a steep dirt hill that had been breaking rigs left and right. I had turned in as perpendicular to the hill as I could but didn’t leave us much room for momentum to the hill. I had disengaged the Dana 300 transfer case and was in the Trail Tough 4.24:1. I dropped the clutch and found that first wasn’t going to do it so I hit second and made the hill look easy. Whew what a great finish to a very trying day.

Oh course my greatest appreciation goes out to the hardest working people in the sport, my spotter Scott Angell. He was busting it big time to get us through the courses as usual.

We hope to make a couple more changes to the Tracker over the next couple months with a Rear Cutting Brake and some new winch rope incase the wire rope brakes again. If you have access to any of these products please give me a holler.
We hope to see you at the series finale in Hannibal, Mo October 20th.
Second place! Not bad!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
HAHA! the gauges were great! Couldn't figure out how to start the timer though?...

Big thanks to the RBR Crew. Jason, Scott, Adam, and Jeremy! Thanks so much for the help this season guys! I will have another full write up about the event and my thoughts of the season as a whole but man what a ride! Thanks to EXPERT OFFROAD, Trail Tough, PSC, BFGoodrich, Rancho, Superwinch, Ron Istas from Inland Truck Parts in Olathe, KS!
Jake

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Okay so I finally got the last RROCK event summarized. Thanks for everyones support this year and we'll be back bigger and better in 08.

I just can’t say enough about the RBR Crew. We had developed a couple of problems at the Kansas Krawl Competition a while back and in an attempt for me to have my Bronco done for Hot Springs, Ar and our Moab/Colorado Trip, I needed to concentrate on it full time. Well the rest of the crew jumped in and worked on taking care of some much needed TLC. The transfer case was removed and taken to Ron from Inland Truck Parts to once over the noise I was hearing. Our Safety battery Cut-off Died during a parade in Kansas City, Kansas and caused the alternator to not charge the battery. The guys wired up a new solenoid and switch to try to prevent any future problems, especially during a competition. Since we broke the winch cable at the previous comp I was able to buy some used winch rope and a new Expert Offroad Aluminum Fairlead. They guys actually mounted the winch backwards to keep the fairlead out of the rocks and it looks like it will work great! The transfer case levers we also re-worked for easier shifting, installed a cutting brake and raised the Tracker ¾” as well as an assortment of other little things! Thanks to Jeremy, Adam, Josh and Scott for kicking in the extra time to keep us running full steam! On to the Event!

Gauges were also on the upgrade list.

As usual Tom had set some awesome courses for us! This time however bonuses had been knocked down to -10 points no matter what they were. Most of them with 4 cones marking the bonus lines. This played into a big factor for us. Our first course was B2, It had a pretty easy decent to the bottom in between to narrow cones, then a U-turn and headed back to the top. The bonus line on this course looked do able but with only -10 points we decided it wasn’t necessary to run the risk of a DNF on our first course. Fortunately no one else did either.

Scott getting us up over the rear diff.

Our Second course found set us climbing some big boulders until we reached a flat area of rock with a drop on either side. We then had to negotiate over to the left side and drop down some large rocks with big holes all around. Then another drop down off of a large ledge set us to make a front dig around the finish gates and out. Some really good spotting by Scott got us through the course with only one back from a perfect score.

Our Third course would be B1. This course had been causing some problems for most of the competitors ahead of us. It consisted of a series of ledges that we had to drop down and then make a u-turn around and sidehill back up for a bit before making a hard left turn back to the bottom. We were able to drop down the ledges easily(gravity can be nice every now and then!) And got turned around to make the climb nicely as well. In walking the courses we had developed two different plans for finishing the course depending on where our rear tire was. We were on the line that we thought we needed to be to make the left turn down the hill with out driving around above the course like other competitors had done. Scott pushed me to the limits as we tried to make the left had turn but I felt the Tracker wanting to roll so I had to throttle out of it in order to keep it upright. We did save it but took a gate in the process. One of our few rookie mistakes this year I feel, that cone took us from 2nd to 6th place just like that.

Dropping down is easy!

It was an impressive morning as there were many competitors at the top of the points. As the afternoon program started, we were set to run course B4 next. It was a steep rocky, Dirt hill that would require the right amount of momentum and finesse to clear. I choose to drop the Dana 300 and only use the Trail Tough 4.24:1 and ended up in second gear. This was the same gear combo we had ran last time we took the hill. This time a little too much throttle overpowered the hill and we bounced around a bit, we made the hill but hit a cone in the process.

Once to the top we had to make a hard left turn and then a hard right turn around a very large boulder. We squeezed by all of the cones and the large boulder and set out for the bonus line which was one of the largest drops we had seen in the tracker. Scott stacked a ramp for us at the bottom of the ledge as I eased forward a slowly as we could. Still as the Tracker came down I found my self trying to keep the front end from being passed by the rear. After 2 stabs of the throttle I got it to settle down. But not after about 6 feet of driving on the front tires. Whew!!! That was cool!

Still working on getting the video uploaded

Our last course was a large rock garden. We started low in the bottom quarry and worked our way up to where the wall was vertical and then taking the bonus line drop all the way back down to the bottom, much faster than we had climbed to get there! We were able to work our way through the start gates which had given people trouble before us. A big hole had been made to try to give us trouble like last time but we were able negotiate through with little trouble. We had to take a back after we got hung on the rear diff once and then made the hard left hand turn to drop back to the bottom via the bonus line. We were able to squeeze down a pretty uneventful line and exit the finish gates. When the dust settled we were able to catch a third place victory for the event. We were all excited about that for sure!

Our Series totals would find us in second place for our first ever RROCK experience. We will definitely say that Tom and Debbie Wombles and the whole RROCK crew are definitely great people and we will be back in ‘08.

The ’08 Season has the makings of being the best yet for the Stock Mod Class and we hope to compete in the WE-ROCK GRAND NATIONALS tentatively scheduled for September 2008. Thanks to all of our sponsors for making 2007 a huge success for RubberBelly Racing and look forward to your support in 2008.

Jake

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Sure you enter the statics of your vehicle in the first box. Then you make measurements based on where things will fit in the package and enter those into the second box. Then the last box tells you what type of handling characteristics to expect based on what you designed. Helps you make small changes for a better end result. Unfortunately only experience will tell you what this information really means. You can search a ton and find alot of different opinions telling you what you should run. :)
good luck, Jake

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess it is time for a little update So to get ready for the '08 season we are redoing a few things to hopefully fixing a few things that we weren't happy with last season.

to get a slightly better approach angle we cut off the bumper that we used for the 2007 RRock Season. Jake has been wanting to do this for quite some time now.

Since last season we had a small turning problem we redesigned the front end and built a new 449 front end.

Our breaking last year had some issues so to fix the problem a Corvette master cylinder has been installed.

We also decided to install the second cutting break.

See it's bone stock

That is all for now I am pretty sure Jake will be on here in the next couple of days with some more updates.

Adam

141 - 160 of 171 Posts