Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wants to cut down a HP F250 D44, and wants to use stock rubi D44 front shafts. Does anybody know the lengths of the rubi shafts. I couldnt find the dimensions posted or listed anywhere?

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Road Head said:
A friend of mine wants to cut down a HP F250 D44, and wants to use stock rubi D44 front shafts. Does anybody know the lengths of the rubi shafts. I couldnt find the dimensions posted or listed anywhere?
would be cheaper stronger and easier to use waggy inners and outers. That is what I did. available in junk yards everywhere

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did they change the diameter on the rubi shafts or something? I thought they were the same as all dana 44's on the inner axleshafts just with the 30 outers?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I thought they were standard D44 shafts, just a different length than waggy shafts. He was asking me why people dont just narrow their axles to Rubi size, rather than waggy size. My guess was simply that there are fewer stock Rubi shafts, and waggy's are plentiful. But maybe there is a strength factor?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Since we're on Waggy shafts, I've got a question. Are the pass. drop Waggy shafts, both inner and outer, compatable with the driver side drop housings (non vac-disco)?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JS-Economos said:
Since we're on Waggy shafts, I've got a question. Are the pass. drop Waggy shafts, both inner and outer, compatable with the driver side drop housings (non vac-disco)?
No, they are not the same sizes.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
youll find the outer on a rubi 44 a little different....kind of like scout syndrome

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, for those interested, the F250 inner shafts are 34.75" and 18.625". So if you want to narrow the axle to take rubi shafts, take 2" off the short side, and 2.87" off the long side. With 8 lug stuff, this should put the axle at 64.5" WMS (and would work nicely with a C&C 14 bolt rear -63"), and if you use 5/6 lug, it will be at 62" (which will work nicely with an 8.8 and 5/6 lug spacers as a rear axle - 62").

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify, not ALL 30's have 44 outers just 96-current wranglers. No the Dana 44 is not the same as what Ford may use or the same as what Jeep may have used on the old Wagoneers.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rubicon D44s use a D44 pumpkin, and have D30 inner C's on the tubes, so that they can bolt up to the standard D30 outers. So from the ujoint out, the knuckles, calipers, outer stubs, unit hub bearing, blah blah is all D30. However, if one were clever, they could swap the inner C's to CJ D30 inner C's, and run chevy/ford outers with flat tops, and 5x5.5/6 lug bolt patterns. Heck, for that matter, you could run 8 lug stuff.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
ROCKING_NM said:
Sorry, I should clarify, not ALL 30's have 44 outers just 96-current wranglers. No the Dana 44 is not the same as what Ford may use or the same as what Jeep may have used on the old Wagoneers.

Are you sure about that? 96 huh?

·
Registered
528 Posts
ROCKING_NM said:
Thanks for proving beyond a doubt that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

go back to JU

·
Registered
7 Posts
ghettojeep said:
Are you sure about that? 96 huh?
Yeah wranglers didn't have a 96 model year, and 95 YJ although having the vac disco came with 297/760 joints, not the small 260's found in most previous YJ.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts