Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning on getting the new RE long arm kit with the 3 link rear, but someone told me that the Claytons kit is better.

Here is what was said:

"I honestly would not get the RE 3 link. I would buy Clayton's RE tri link upgrade instead. With it you get a truss to weld on your axle and both adjustable upper control arms with Johnny Joints on both ends. The RE is kind of funky how it bolts on to your stock brackets and diff cover. It also uses a Y for the two upper arms at the rear."

But talking to Steve Nantz at the Moab 4x4 Outpost, he said that Claytons kits have problems and aren't worth the money.

Any thoughts? Anybody out there running the RE kit or seen it in use. My wife has the 4.5" RE kit on her XJ and it has been awesome. I also like the 100% bolt-on aspect of the RE kit since I don't weld. I've always though RE's eingeenering was top notch, did they screw up on this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't consider the Full Traction kit, because frankly I don't personnaly know anyody running one of their kits, so I have no reference for their quality or longevity.

Why SHOULD i get the Full Traction Kit?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
RE only puts cartridge joints on one side so you still get the shock absorbtion of the bushings on the road. This is nice if you do drive on the street still. It doesnt hurt flex as much as one might think either.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i just put the RE long arms and the tri link rear on my 97 TJ and love it .. if i were to buy a new kit i would probably go with the full traction kit with the 3 link front with the longer upper arm and the rear tri link set up . it looks to be a good set up ...i also bought my long arm kit used and bought the tri link kit when installing it .i kinda like the way RE does there tri link its Stout the way it mounts to the upper CA brackets and also mounts to the upper 3 bolts on the diff cover it looks funky but its Pretty Stout .. i have only done a couple Snow runs since install but i did flex it a couple times and i gotta say it flexs pretty damn good

·
Registered
27 Posts
my buddy just recently got the three link, works great, ride better than stock, and looks to be pretty stout

he had an 8.8 rear, so he couldnt use the stock bracketry, so some tube work was required , so i cant comment on how it works bolting to the stock diff

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GSW said:
Did the guy that said Clayton kits "have problems and aren't worth the money" offer any details?
No, he basically said that they're pretty redneck and aren't the best quality. I didn't ask beyond that.

·
Vendor
11,812 Posts
greenjeep said:
Any thoughts? Anybody out there running the RE kit or seen it in use. My wife has the 4.5" RE kit on her XJ and it has been awesome. I also like the 100% bolt-on aspect of the RE kit since I don't weld. I've always though RE's eingeenering was top notch, did they screw up on this one?

Thanks
I say bring it to me and I'll put the Clayton tri link on for you! It'l be the happiest day of your life :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts