Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it gonna be to install this?can i do it on a 91 4 dr cherokee in one weekend?can i get away without a sye for a while?any input is appreciated.
thanks mark

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not hard at all. One weekend should be fine. A 91 can probably get away without an SYE for a while, but it's something you want to do for sure. Soak all the bolts with liquid wrench or equiv. for a few days prior. One thing to watch is the front leaf spring bolts. Sometimes they can be pretty rusted stuck. It's possible to break loose the nut that's welded to the body, so watch for that. And naxja.org is a good place to go for install help, lotsa good XJ tech there. Have fun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys
i called rubicon express and they said they were giving me a great price but ive seen their kits cheaper elsewhere.who should i get it from?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I just swapped my complete lift off my xj and onto another XJ last weekend.
Every one involved was far from sober.

the lift was a RE 5.5 lift like yours.

we started friday night and had it done by sunday afternoon.

Most of the time was spent drinking mass quanities of beer and eating fried chicken and pizza. we also spent alot of time driving rigs three wheelers and dirtbikes in my backyard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
More then likly you will have to do the SYE ASAP, but you could lower the T-case, if it is the short "bad and ugly ride" arms. I have a TJ with the RE long arm on the front and it took four days, BUT I could have done it in one or two. If I worked on it all day the first day.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a xj with 7.5 of lift and NEVER did a sye kit. And it had the original driveline. Try it without it, you'll be fine

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
lordwest said:
I had a xj with 7.5 of lift and NEVER did a sye kit. And it had the original driveline. Try it without it, you'll be fine
Was it two wheel drive? :rolleyes:

Oh I once drove drunk down a windy mountain road, and I didn't die, so I might as well do it again huh? :rolleyes: :shaking: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can pull the slip yoke off of a '96+ XJ and attach it to your driveshaft. The 96+ slipyokes are the 'long travel style' that have more room for the ujoint to move. I ran this on my XJ with 5.5" lift with no vibes and no problems off road either. Anything over 5.5" and you will need a longer driveshaft. The SYE is a good choice either way because it adds beef to the main shaft (if you get the HD version).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts