Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....for a rear link setup.

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday and he seemed to think there was too much play in the Rubicon Bearing to be good for suspension links with coilovers.

PIG has a sweet deal going on the Rubicon bearings and I like the design better than heims personally.....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, I can tell you from personal experience that the large RE bearings do very well on suspension links. My rig sees not only a lot of rocks all over the West, but plenty of high speed desert action in NV, and my front suspension link bearings are tight as a drum. I use rubber bushings at the axle end, which probably helps a ton in the wear department.

I use the small RE bearing in my front track bar, and it is in no way comparable to a good heim. It just plain wears itself out quickly. I'm lucky to get a couple of months out of it before having to either tighten it, or totally rebuild it.

Andy

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Q: What happens when an expensive 1" heim wears out?

A: You shitcan it and fork out $50+ for a new one.

Q: What happens when a $35 RE bearing wears out?

A: Crank in the threaded ring, squirt some more grease in and you're good to go.

cmk

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
cmk said:
Q: What happens when an expensive 1" heim wears out?

A: You shitcan it and fork out $50+ for a new one.

Q: What happens when a $35 RE bearing wears out?

A: Crank in the threaded ring, squirt some more grease in and you're good to go.

cmk
you need to compare the timeline though, what if you have to replace those $35 RE joints 3 times before you have to replace a heim.

I am sure Pig will fill us in on life expectancy

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Well I have never seen (in person) neither (large RE bearing or a 1.25" rod end) wear out. However, I have heard of people not having to rebuild/re tighten their RE bearings on their TJ RE kits for 40,000/50,000 miles. As far as link making goes, I am starting to see alot of people use a combination of the 1.25" rod ends (axle end) and the RE joints (at the chassis end). It seems to be the most cost effective way to go. Also, we now carry the 1.25" B7 grade all thread which allows you to make you own RE arms when used in conjunction with a 1.25" RH tube adapter which by the way are due in today.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I bought some used Re control arm with these ends you people are talking about.

I drive my rig over 100 miles aday to and from work.
rough countyr roads and a really bent tierod should abuse these joints.

I also wheel the piss out of my junk.

I have had them on my junk for 2 years now and they are still in excellent shape.

when I installed them I just greased and tightened them up and I haven't touched them sinse other then to check them out.

I think they hold up reall well alot better then rod ends which I had on my old control arms and had to replace often under the same driving conditions had to replace them yearly and that was dealing with them for months in bad shape.

I will be using the Re ends for my lower control arms on the front and rear of my CJ-7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts