Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip originating from Loon and attempting to hike the entire way to Tahoe. I am going to carry all of my gear with nothing but the bare necessities. Does anyone have any advice or pointers? I am looking at setting out aside around 3 days give or take. I am going to photo document nearly my every move, as well as plenty of 4x4 action. I have the trail maps, fairly familiar with the area, but have never personally talked with anyone who has hiked the trail in its entirety. I am also interested in helping someone photo document specific areas!

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally I want to see both spider and buck, not particular about the order or how I arrive at them.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I have hiked it from end to end. Also mountain biked from Wentworth all the way into South Lake Tahoe in 1 day a number of years ago.

If you are in good shape it really isnt too much trouble, although the hike up Cadillac is pretty tiring. I didnt even have good gear and it wasnt too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I have hiked it many times while guiding groups through. Bring a water filter so you can replenish your supply. The water up there does have bad bugs. Although the Sierra is generally safe, there is nowhere you should consider safe.

The last part will be the worst as it is the longest with no real interest other than getting to the staging area.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
From Cadillac Hill on East to Tahoe, the trail winds through beautiful forest, but there is a whole lot of it and it is a long walk with limited views after Observation Point.

There's cool opportunity to tie into the Pacific Crest trail where it crosses Rubicon Trail (and yes, I sadi that correctly -- Rubicon Trail WAY pre-dates the PCT.

IMHO, the best hike on Rubicon is Loon to Buck along the trail, and Buck to Rockbound Lake overland, with a return along the old haul road for a different viewpoint of the terrain through which the trail travels. You get the best of both worlds, with the enjoyment of watching rigs work the trail, and a more level walk back with cool history.

Randii

·
Registered
244 Posts
I hiked it from loon to 89 ten years ago and was able to do it in a long day. I started before sunrise to beat the heat on granite. Cadilac made my thighs very sore, but the hike out past miller was not bad. I think knowing that you have the provisions to camp and take your time will make it easier for you.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I am planning a trip originating from Loon and attempting to hike the entire way to Tahoe. I am going to carry all of my gear with nothing but the bare necessities. Does anyone have any advice or pointers? I am looking at setting out aside around 3 days give or take. I am going to photo document nearly my every move, as well as plenty of 4x4 action. I have the trail maps, fairly familiar with the area, but have never personally talked with anyone who has hiked the trail in its entirety. I am also interested in helping someone photo document specific areas!
I just got done hiking from Wentworth Springs to Observation Point. I did have the luxury of having all of my gear in my girlfriends truck though, and took four days to do it. :D

You see so much more on foot than you do behind the wheel. I took 600+ pics on the way if anyone is interested.

http://www.sn4wd.com/gallery/album438

Regards,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got done hiking from Wentworth Springs to Observation Point. I did have the luxury of having all of my gear in my girlfriends truck though, and took four days to do it. :D

You see so much more on foot than you do behind the wheel. I took 600+ pics on the way if anyone is interested.

http://www.sn4wd.com/gallery/album438

Regards,
....Mike
Thanks for sharing!! How did the cat manage on the trip?

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
My wife and I hiked it with two dogs on leash.
No problem. Wife was 5 months pregnant, too.

Wouldn't even take 3 days unless you stop and take your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts