Pirate 4x4 banner

501 - 520 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well fuckin' A Chris, you return from the dead! Very glad to see you're still around, and I hope all is well.

My rig back when Cutch and I joined you in 2000 for our July run...

And my current rig, a JKU as well.

Maybe we should all meet up in Colorado and run some of my local trails!

Hey Allen!
I was just thinking about you two, and that awesome and memorable trip!
I'll be in CO in August, To run the Leadville 100 race. Was going to fly to CO, but are you anywhere near Leadville?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Any current pics? Trying to run the trail this weekend, may 7-8. Pirate member from Australia will be here and I would like to show him the con.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Any current pics? Trying to run the trail this weekend, may 7-8. Pirate member from Australia will be here and I would like to show him the con.
No current pics, but if you go to the first entry of the conditions thread you can get a pretty good idea of how it might look. Don't know your bona fides, but you can get pretty far in current conditions depending on your equipment and abilities.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
No current pics, but if you go to the first entry of the conditions thread you can get a pretty good idea of how it might look. Don't know your bona fides, but you can get pretty far in current conditions depending on your equipment and abilities.
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
so its a pre '41 GPW?
Interested to hear more about it too. First one I've seen in more than 40 years.
Friend of my dad's named Roger up in the SoCal mountains had one of the first made. If I remember he said it was the sixth one built and the first one released.
Never heard any more about it, or how he got his hands on it, but he was a savvy government contractor for one of the big companies (or more than one?) and his son took me for a little spin around the cabin on the trails. Was not easy on the equipment and it was getting pretty beat up like many a ranch truck tended to.
Be interesting to hear more about this one too. Not many around anymore I'd guess!

A fun side note, but the same guy had an original 4-cyl crate motor as a replacement. Was still in the crate, covered in wrap and cosmoline(sp?) and green paint sitting under the eaves on the side of the cabin/house. Said it was the first one crated and shipped out as a spare.
I was a pretty impressed teenager for sure.

Paul

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
Friend of my dad's named Roger up in the SoCal mountains had one of the first made. If I remember he said it was the sixth one built and the first one released.
Neat. I have a 47...but my cousin has a 41 Ford MB. There are definite differences between the 2.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That photo is pretty awesome. I picked up a stock 2a that I've wheeled over the con now and I hope to inflict the same hobby on my kids someday.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
That photo is pretty awesome. I picked up a stock 2a that I've wheeled over the con now and I hope to inflict the same hobby on my kids someday.
Thanks,I was 14 at the time and I remember my folks and the others having a good time:beer: on the trail.There was 4 of us in that jeep(my grandpas)with a big honkin rubi rack hanging off the back.Looking back now I can't believe we made it through with these pretty stock rigs.I do remember one of our crew put a hole in the radiator at buck and to this day they still talk about how the tampon saved the day.Good time for sure!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Cool pic, at least your grandpa was badass enough to drive a Jeep and Chevy, l guess you got it half right :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The water was flowing this weekend...

...good times!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Upstream of Buck Island.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Was a great trip. Thanks TJ for putting together the video. I have since seen your 2014 YouTube video. I did not realize you previously took what is now your dad's Sami on the trail.

We had two people start with zero experience, and they did great. Starting at Postpile can be tough, but they did it with no issues. Trail from the dam at Buck to the top of Cadillac is pretty tough, and they did it. Not one break down. The black Sami is low with small tires. Shows you do not need a big rig to have fun on the Rubicon, nor any experience with support. TJ did great guiding his dad through it all.

Great people, great time, no breakage.

501 - 520 of 565 Posts