Pirate 4x4 banner

561 - 565 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why not. 2015 4runner TEP. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a great idea - but with a great spotter who knows the best lines for wagons and some careful driving in a few places it's do-able. The 1400 mile round trip to/from was a lot nicer than trying to drive it on bias ply TSLs on my trail rig. The only body damage was some scratches on the front bumper cover plastic where I ran into a rock. - Pulled off for lunch and forgot when I got back in that there was a big rock in front of me. Pulled forward and - bam. Otherwise she's still clean. Did pull a winch cable a few times though. And thoroughly tested the skid plates. No mechanical issues - but having a few very capable buggies as a safety net is invaluable in terms of making it fun, not stressful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^Rubithon 2017. I was stuck behind you guys as we went out Cadillac hill!

·
Registered
387 Posts
^Rubithon 2017. I was stuck behind you guys as we went out Cadillac hill!
Hope you didn't have to wait too long. I hate being "that guy" on the trail. I hiked the road out on Friday to get a good look at it before trying it on Sunday morning and to get some exercise. We hit the trail at 7am to try to get out before it got too busy, but it was a busy day getting all the vehicles out of there. Our group of wagons had a few trucks with mechanical problems - lockers not working and an alternator out. I was able to make a clean run out in the 4runner without too much issue. The only part that was a bit tricky was that first tight switchback. I think it ended up taking about 3 tries to get on the right line to avoid putting the rear fender into that tree on the right hand side. It was pretty cool of the local club to come down and assist everyone coming out. It really helps move things along.

I'm planning to do it again next year if possible with my schedule. It was a little harder than I had thought it would be based on some reports from the prior year. I guess the snow kinda reset some of the trail according to a few locals. I'm not sure it's worth dragging my FJ40 down there. But I do think I'll probably jump up to something like a 34/35 tire for the trip and maybe set the suspension an inch or two taller too.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
It was pretty cool of the local club to come down and assist everyone coming out. It really helps move things along.
John B and the Hi Los are a great group (they host an awesome poker run every Auguat near markleeville) but yes, that first uphill hard right turn requires some driver attention.

561 - 565 of 565 Posts