Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, first off, I consider myself a decent wheeler, but, Ive never been to the Rubicon! Im going the last weekend in Sept. From what I have read in other posts, my truck is more than capable of doing it, I guess my questions are, from everyones experience, give me some thoughts or pointers to look out for and to help prepare me for a 3 day weekend up there.

Also, does it matter what side do people start on? (89 in Tahoe or Icehouse?) Is it more difficult one way? points of interest? Drinking and Rangers? What ever you guys think of post it up!

·
Registered
228 Posts
JUST went last week end sunday at 2pm from loon lake to buck island 4 1/2 hrs first night there then out by 2pm the next day over the top of cadilac hill about the 11 mile mark not much wheeling past rubicon springs. total trail 17 miles last 5 to 6 miles dirt road best places to play is buck island, little and big sluice we came back around to the truck at loon lake and stayed the night there. seen no rangers used 1/2 tank in my rubicon unlimited

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's more difficult/fun coming from the Tahoe side. Camp at Buck but leave your rig next to the trail (25' from center). Drinking and driving is not recomended.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
thanks info like that I like to read...anymore?

baased on my experiences, its 'easier' going loon to tahoe-- or better yet, start at wentworth springs. this routre is generally downhill, believe it nor not leaving really only walker hill and cadillac as inclines to climb. i use downhill only subjectively, since it seems its more on the brakes than power. From tahoe to loon, i have a number of uphill events to enjoy-- big sluice (getting chewed up at the bottom) then past buck just about any way u go, its a gradual up hill run to loon.

this is just my impression. good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Staying on the trail can be a challenge -- at the very minimum, have a detailed map and the skills to use it. I recommend that first-timers go with an experienced trail hand that can point out the names and history of the stuff along the way (some of the best stuff is just a short walk from the trail), keep you on the trail, and discuss the changing rules and politics of the area.

True, that's a lot to consider, but it is our current reality... and IMHO, adding all of that (especially the history) can really add to the richness of the experience.
* do you know where the rope swing is?
* have you hiked to the stone cabin and sipped from the spring?
* do you know where a helicopter can land (some of the access routes aren't legal)?
* where's the best campsites?
* where can you have a fire (if at all?)
* how long does it take to get from here to there?
* where's the not-so-slimey-bottomed swimming hole?
* where's the well-sheltered picnic spot for windy day that still has a great view?
* which bypass is legal?
And etc.

Randii

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Damn Randi, I need to spend a good long weekend up there. I never knew about most anything of that stuff. I'm usually haulin ass to get to the springs before dark and get a decent camp spot, make dinner and have a beer or 10

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Damn Randi, I need to spend a good long weekend up there. I never knew about most anything of that stuff. I'm usually haulin ass to get to the springs before dark and get a decent camp spot, make dinner and have a beer or 10
I've hurried before, as well, but some of the best trips have been ones on foot, or ones with the rig parked (my motor swap gave me LENGTHY opportunity to hoof it!). Rubicon is great 'wheeling, but it gets even better when you talk to other users, explore, and enjoy. No one user has seen it all -- all of us see different things each trip. :cool2:

As for maps -- there are no GREAT ones yet. The USFS quad maps are pretty good... you can get there via Topozone: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.0136&lon=-120.274&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=100 (but you have to drill in). The 4 Wheelers Guide to the Rubicon Trail is one of the best I have seen, but it is a little out of date: http://www.4x4books.com/rt.htm

Del has a good background webpage, but it lacks a detailed map, as well...
http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/know.htm
FOTR is working with the agencies to deliver a much better map. Here's a taste:

I have this with much more dense data and topo lines, but I'm working to finalize it with the agencies.

Randii

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
once again, BRAVO Randii for the fine info-- yes, i have sipped the efferrvescense from the trickling hill side, toured the cabin (tnx to merlin), watched a friend make the new (now) wire rope swing this july, listened to the woomp woomp wookp of mr Smith's choppers, grilled tri-tip at DD camp site and best of all, slept in to my hearts' content at long lake-- yes, a fine jewel to revere, preserve, protect and enjoy his thing called the Rubicon.

tnx for ur dedication.

mb

·
Registered
418 Posts
You forgot Old Sluice...That's the best part. Blink and you'll go right past the entrance.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My first time

I just went last weekend, over Labor Day, it was my first time. I went with a great group of experienced guys. It really help take the guesswork out of it. Just ask a lot of questions, make sure you dont go off the trail, absolutely no fires right now.

Definitely get out and check out Little Sluice if you dont try it. Jump in Buck Lake. Dont drink on the trail, wait until you set up at night. There are definitely Rangers, I had one pop up right next to my head, he came out of nowhere.

The trip made a definite impression on me, I will definitely be there next year, and hopefully many to come. Take it all in, it is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Staying on the trail can be a challenge -- at the very minimum, have a detailed map and the skills to use it. I recommend that first-timers go with an experienced trail hand that can point out the names and history of the stuff along the way (some of the best stuff is just a short walk from the trail), keep you on the trail, and discuss the changing rules and politics of the area.

True, that's a lot to consider, but it is our current reality... and IMHO, adding all of that (especially the history) can really add to the richness of the experience.
* do you know where the rope swing is?
* have you hiked to the stone cabin and sipped from the spring?
* do you know where a helicopter can land (some of the access routes aren't legal)?
* where's the best campsites?
* where can you have a fire (if at all?)
* how long does it take to get from here to there?
* where's the not-so-slimey-bottomed swimming hole?
* where's the well-sheltered picnic spot for windy day that still has a great view?
* which bypass is legal?
And etc.

Randii

Randii really needs to write a book, or even an e-book (then sell it for Land use $$$).
I know del had one planed, but that was over a year ago, and I have not heard anything else on it.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I know del had one planed, but that was over a year ago, and I have not heard anything else on it.
RTF met with the publisher, and ended up deprioritizing the book. Everyone agrees that it is a cool idea, and many would buy it, but taking the time out to pull it together... well, that's where we lack the resources. It is on the back burner, and not forgotten. When it does happen, I hope it will be a communal effort, because I don't believe there's a single person who knows 100% of all the information -- and even if I got the 5 most knowledgeable people together and downloaded their brains, I bet we'd still only have 90% of the details...
Every time I go on the trail, I notice new things. The trail itself is great, but the Sierra around the Rubicon is what keeps me coming back... keep your eyes peeled and let us know what you find. :cool2:

Randii
Randy Burleson
President, Rubicon Trail Foundation

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
e-book it. all you need is acrobat. :)

·
Land Use Zeus
2,881 Posts
About the only books with maps I know of are kinda old, but still somewhat useful. And Bill Teie's book has some good history as well.
Cal4 and 4x4books both sell the 4Wheelers Guide to the Rubicon (William C. Teie).
And when Randy gets the County to finalize and publish their (our) map, it will be very helpful. :)

Del

·
Registered
663 Posts
Randi

Any time you are headed up there when I can tag along and learn the history / spots please email me.
I would be up to run it or hike it. I have run it several times but never knew where some of these spots were.

Stuart

1 - 20 of 23 Posts