Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
july 6th check out the trail rides: rubicon section its called zukicon.

I havent heard yet when the calmini run is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks just wondering if they still put one on. ive always wanted to run it and always mist it

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I looked at the Trail Tough web site and didn't see any mention of their run. I guess they aren't doing it this year? They have done one for the last 5 or more years.
Travis..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Due to the pain in the ass of bringing hundreds of pounds (and Thousands of dollars) worth of Dinner, raffle prizes, and camping gear, Trail Tough will not be putting together a run this year.

If you want to run with a couple Samurais, (about 15-20 from what I've heard) then you can join us July 6th-10th at or around Rubicon Springs.
There will not be a Dinner or raffle, so bring your own stuff and have a good party with us! But have a look at the "Rubicon" section of the forum for more info.

But if you miss the Trail Tough gang, Travis and Ben might join us for the run.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No more sponsored runs? Weak sauce!

I'm still considering going up in the tracker.... slap on the 31"ers & rocker armor & go? Or 29"ers to keep a slower crawl?

Then again, I've already had the 'con eat me once, and think it might be a good idea to just chill this year. *sigh* decisions decisions.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Due to the pain in the ass of bringing hundreds of pounds (and Thousands of dollars) worth of Dinner, raffle prizes, and camping gear, Trail Tough will not be putting together a run this year.

If you want to run with a couple Samurais, (about 15-20 from what I've heard) then you can join us July 6th-10th at or around Rubicon Springs.
There will not be a Dinner or raffle, so bring your own stuff and have a good party with us! But have a look at the "Rubicon" section of the forum for more info.

But if you miss the Trail Tough gang, Travis and Ben might join us for the run.
Yeah, it is a huge undertaking to put on such an event, and my hat is off to Brent and Linda for having done it so many years. I am going to Nevada for the 4th weekend so I'm out. I've never been on the 'con for a holiday, and don't know if I want to start now anyway.
Travis..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No more sponsored runs? Weak sauce!

I'm still considering going up in the tracker.... slap on the 31"ers & rocker armor & go? Or 29"ers to keep a slower crawl?

Then again, I've already had the 'con eat me once, and think it might be a good idea to just chill this year. *sigh* decisions decisions.
Do NOT come without at least welding your rear-end. We are going down AND UP Cadillac hill, and it's kinda hairy.

Expect body damage - everywhere.

If you stay unlocked in the front, then you are probably gonna have to park at the camping spot and try to tag along with someone.
I'm tellin ya! You bring the blender and a couple bottles, you will be a very popular fella in the crowd and people will want to let you ride, ha.

Let me talk to my dad about letting you ride with me, cuz I don't have a spotter.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yeah, it is a huge undertaking to put on such an event, and my hat is off to Brent and Linda for having done it so many years. I am going to Nevada for the 4th weekend so I'm out. I've never been on the 'con for a holiday, and don't know if I want to start now anyway.
Travis..
Yep... Couldn't say it better myself. What Brent did was way cool while it lasted, and he wasn't getting the thanks he deserved, so now he's done and I wouldn't blame him... Maybe in a couple years.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ok, if you want to go, you might want to put at least rock sliders and lock that rear end. A Toyota went with us 2 years ago and did fine going back up Caddy, but he was on 31's. That reminds me! You can run 31's with that Auto tranny you got, so try to get something like that. We are probably going somewhere like Fordyce or The hammers next year, so if it stresses you out too much, take a year to build something you know can have fun and not break anything.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tried locating a 2-door kick with an automatic, but can't find one for a good price right now. I have an extra kick lift kit waiting for a home :D

(puts on flame suit)
Can I weld / spool the rear and re-use the welded gears / spool when I go with different R&P gears? Honestly, I'm super nervous about doing it myself as I've heard rookies (which I am) can explode them if not setup properly.

I don't have an auto trans yet, which is why I'll probably try to make the run armored (working on making plastic skid plates http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,84377.0.html, and getting steel rockers) & on the 29" tires. I don't plan on going anywhere, or through anything extreme. Just want to make it to base camp. I don't have a problem parking & reading a book while you boys go play in the big stuff, or riding shotgun, or being someone's spotter... or taking my kayak on the lake :D

I wasn't locked in my sami on 31" tires, but I'll have power steering & armor on my side this time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Change of plans. I'm on a race to get this Rubicon ready by the 6th:

On the list of things to do before going:
* Want to get trans & P/S cooler & electric fan installed
* Rocker armor
* Looks like I'm in big-time need of bump stops. Can I survive without them for one run?

Will be interestin with 4.10 in the rears, but... I have a 4 speed auto, so hopefully that can save me. There's no way to get my Kicker 3 in time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Huh??

You lost me Jeremiah.
Where did you get 4.10 gears?

Wait.... Is that YOURS?! Where did you pick that thing up?!!!! Make sure you have your blender and maybe microwave ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Picked it up near Chico. It's a SAS swap on yota axles & springs. It's a totally red-necked fab job, and he went a little too fast, so I'll be re-doing some things (looks like it's time to get cases of beer and a friend with a welder).

Kicker 3 is a must. I've been doing a lot of reading, and looks like fabing my own is outa my skill level. It's tempting to try given the $700 price tag though (pluss $150-200 for t-case). That still won't get me geared 100% right, but I can address that in the diffs when I put in lockers (lurking in yota boards to figure out what locker to go with).

Moving the 1000 watt inverter, and getting rid of the ranho 9000 (WAY too stiff) is high on the priority list. Along with bump stops - look at that negative arch! There goes all my fles *cries*

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How is your % on going? I'm looking at an 80% chance you will make it.

4.10's are a little high for 35's, but if you got some lower T-case gears from TT, that would be fine on an Auto, as long as you definitely get a trans cooler. Power steering isn't too bad without one, unless you are having some problems with it now.

How are you getting that thing there and back?

·
Registered
453 Posts
How is your % on going? I'm looking at an 80% chance you will make it.
Can't say right now. Too many variables. Ordering diff gears, aussie locker, and armor. I'm not going to do the diff gears myself (don't want to screw up backlash and grenade $700 in parts), and need to co-ordinate shipping & a pro installer ASAP. Also need to go over whole truck and make sure it's ready - buy trail spares, install misc crap etc.

if you got some lower T-case gears from TT
Not going to happen. 1) Brent's wife pissed me off with her bad attitude. 2) TT's gear reduction kit is just as expensive as a Kicker 3, but it won't gear me down nearly as far as a Kicker 3, and I won't have any hi-range reduction. Why would I spend the same $, and not get all the advantages of dual cases? From a rude vendor? I already have the twin sticks and brass goodness for a sami case too :grinpimp:

Power steering cooler is a must with tires that big. I boiled the power steering on my kick with STOCK tires in the sand - I'm pretty sure it's going to need to be cooled with 35's aired down on the rocks :D

Still reading for info on how to install trans cooler. Hopefully I can find suitable bits at wrecking yard tomorrow. Can't seem to get a straight answer on the bump stop issue.... anyway, have a lot to figure out.

How are you getting that thing there and back?
Driving it. Is this a trick question?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts