Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a plow truck setup for this coming winter and it's a by the hour kinda job. to help track hours I'm looking at run time meters and not sure if I trust a vibration activated meter. I'm kind of an analog meter guy so I'm wondering for the easy install and not splicing into any wires would it be okay to run directly off the alternator.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
you mean one that just runs when the key is turned on like a lawn tractor? If you wire it to the alternator it will have power all the time, that's not a switched lead.

Why not just put it on a switch and hit it like a cab driver?

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have log sheets for "on site" record keeping. Hour meters are good for other things like maintenance and inspection intervals. I've run plow trucks for two days straight and clocked under 200 miles because 18 hours were spent sitting ....idling

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
ok, so then tie it into an ignition switched circuit and roll out.

The cheapy electrical hour meters just run when they get 12V. If you run it to the alternator it will run constantly. Find something under the dash in the fuse block that only turns on when the key is on, use an add a fuse, splice hour meter into that. Done. No cutting/hacking on the factory wires, easily removable.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't think the alternator out out any current if it didn't spin.

87manche:26243713 said:
ok, so then tie it into an ignition switched circuit and roll out.

The cheapy electrical hour meters just run when they get 12V. If you run it to the alternator it will run constantly. Find something under the dash in the fuse block that only turns on when the key is on, use an add a fuse, splice hour meter into that. Done. No cutting/hacking on the factory wires, easily removable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
What the alt "puts out" isn't the issue; it's always connected to the battery, whether it's putting anything out, or not. So if you splice something into that circuit (like an hour meter), then it TOO will be connected to the battery. Always.

The best thing to splice into is the FUEL PUMP RELAY OUTPUT wire, or the inertia switch output. They're only hot when the PCM detects that the engine is spinning. If the engine stalls, the PCM turns off the relay, which would also turn off the hour meter.

Of course, this assumes that your plow truck HAS a fuel pump relay and a PCM...

·
Registered
942 Posts
If it's a gas engine just pick up one of these. hour meter

Only one wire to hook up. Wrap it around a spark plug a few times and there ya go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts