Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front 60 is almost done, I just need a locker, and my single wheel hubs, and its done, I will be running full hydraulic steering, So should I save my money, and go full Detroit, find a Lockright for cheap, or just say fawk it and run a spool in the front?? Does any one see any real disadvantage to a spool in the front with full hydro steer? Im running 44inch TSL's, so Im sure my front 60 will break anyway.:D What do you guys think I should slap in.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
just think of your spooled frond end as an ARB with a busted compressor. :D

i ran a spool in the front of my toy cause i broke everything else. now i have a arb in my front 60 and i rarley turn it off.

with the toy i had ram assist and with the 60 i have ram only. worked well either way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you only go in a straight line and run mud then I say spool ... If you like to turn get a detroit our other locker

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
full hydro steer is going to turn the front no matter what, so CAMO, you think I should go with a spool, cause Im broke, Id like an ARB or detroit, I just think a 60 spool is more in my price range.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
it worked well for me. but then again my rig gets trailered everwhere and i was willing to put up with the decrease in turning radius.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
I say run it, I know a guy running one in his front 44 with hydro assist, and he loves it. Just do it. Its cheap. Hell, Id just weld it, and save even more money.
Scott

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Fawk the spool weld the bitch that will save you money you cheep bastard!!!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
ithink it matters as to what kinda wheelin you are going to do. I see your in texas farther east where junk is more slick the spool is fine that is what i run further west where there is gobbs of traction the spool aint so fine. But if this thread lasts very long you will see a bunch of people say to run it and a bunch say not to run it. the choice is yours and it really matters as to how you wheel and what you wheel

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
there was a like 4 page thread on this about 2 weeks ago. search it. all your answeres are there.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I have a 35 spline welded carrier (4.88, 5.13, etc.) I pulled out of my front 60 to install an ARB - for $25 plus shipping you can see if you like it for cheap, and always move on to something else later :)

Let me know...

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I have a front spool. I don't mind it. Sometimes it gets hard to steer even with hydro assist, but with full hydro it would be fine. I still have a respectable turning radius too.

·
5,599 Posts
I also am about to weld up my d60 front...

I was closely watching my EROCC comp video and closely watched the fully lcoked fronts. There were some good shots showing how the jeep plowed forward and did not make the turn, and the competator payed points to back up and come at it straight.

My FREEBIE spooled front wont be used for competition, So Ill save my pennies and back up to make the turn.

Yes Ill fure sure be in a situation afew times where a simple back up cant help, but I could WORST cast un lock a hub to help prevent the plowing, or use a winch...:D

thats My plan.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
full hydro and front spool is a fine marriage.. it will turn.. only time i'd worry about it is if i was competing.. but last i checked you couldn't point out on Slickrock..

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
DRM....

How was the carrier welded? gears only? or carrier too?

I am interested in it.

I was the one who asked a while back in your for sale thread for a clarification on the ratios.

let me know.

Thanlks,

Charly

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im just gonna eat it, Its a front 60, I want to do it right, so Im gonna get a Detroit. I got one in the rear, so I may as well get one in the front as well.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:
Im just gonna eat it, Its a front 60, I want to do it right, so Im gonna get a Detroit. I got one in the rear, so I may as well get one in the front as well.
i predict you will hate the drive train lash .

swap the detroit into the front and put a spool in back. just my .02

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Dan shsss said:
If you only go in a straight line and run mud
You've obviously never run a full-locked front in mud. It's ten times worse turning than on rock... the slipperier it is, the more the front end ignores you. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I run a welded d60 front with 44" TSL's and full hydro. I was thinking of competeing so I also installed cutting brakes. I LOVE my welded front. I can unlock the hubs and it acts open on the road. There's no gear lash when I get into the gas. I've never been off-roading anywhere where it was possible to coast through a turn like you would have to do with a Detroit to get it to open up. For regular off-roading, as in non-comp, WTF cares if you have to back up and turn every once in a while? If anyone makes fun of you, point out that your locker wasn't $600+. I wouldn't spool it when I could weld it though. Why waste the moola? They act the same.

Last weekend I was with some TJ's on the trail. There was a really sharp turn that they all had to do 3-points on. I'm at 118" wheelbase. I put it in front wheel drive, locked up the rear, and made the turn in one foul swoop. So if that's all you're worried about, it's possible to still get your hair-pin turns welded/spooled.

IMO having a Detroit is WORSE on the trail because you have gear slop and they can break when you snap a shaft. (Just had one break last weekend in another rig.) A properly welded dif will never break. (Neither will a spool for that matter.) Poeple are always like, "My Detroit will open up as soon as I let off the gas." But that is BS because there's just no such thing as coasting through a turn off road.

I used to be skeptical of ym welded diffs because everyone always seems so against them. But now that i've wheeled them, I will never go anything else again. Just no sense in spending $1200+ in lockers when you're achieving something inferior, IMO.

Now for a strictly comp rig, I woudl consider ARB's and for a street rig I would consider Detroits. Otherwise, I'm welded all the way. You have to consider that all lockers were built with compromises in mind ... even Detroits. They were designed to perform off-road and hinder on-road as little as possible. If you want a no holds barred off-road device, you want no compromise at all.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
patooyee

dont kid yourself. detroits suck even worse on the street then in the dirt. unless of course you like to hear hour drive train clank and bank. not to mention changing lanes on their own will. no thanks. keep the spool

1 - 20 of 28 Posts