Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear axle is 1" to 1.5"s wider than my front, approx 62.5" rear and 61" front. I was always told to have the front wider. Is that true? If so, why and does it make a big difference? The rear is a waggy 44 with 9" ends on it to put a 5 on 5.5 floater kit for towing. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Running wider in the rear is going to increase your turning radius a bit. It will also require you to pay more attention to where the rear tires track because they will be taking very different lines than your front tires as you turn on obstacles. The amount of difference you have is probably not going to be all that big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Yep I'd 2nd that 1.5 isn't going to make a noticeable difference...

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, that's what I was looking for. Mike:beer:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Im am running a waggy 44 front with 9" rear and the 9" is 2" more on either side and other than it looking kinda weird its not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Mike I guess you got the rest of the parts to get that front together.
Why didn't you use the 44 ends? They make a floater kit for 44 also.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt: Actually , I bought a complete 44 with high steer and detroit and and 5.38 gears etc. from a guy here on the board and went with that setup up front. I still have your housing and cut down shafts that I'm going to sell. It's a wider setup both front and rear. I have my Jeep in a somewhat "local" shop doing the rear and they suggested the 9" ends to to attach to the floater kit I had already along with disc brakes. They've only had it 4 months to do that..........:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts