Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the 40 is back together and running, sorta.:rolleyes: It won't stay alive unless the choke is out at least an inch, or I am on the gas. The brakes hiss at me (vacuum??) and don't stop well even after a new booster and changing/adjusting/bleeding the system. I have about 3 vacuum hoses in my engine bay, mostly not leading anywhere. Oh yeah, and I have more exhaust exiting forward of the rear wheels than behind them where it should be. Where do I start??? :confused: if i fix the vacuum, will this help my brakes and the running problem?? I plan to get a header (don't know which one yet) to fix at least one of the exhaust leaks, but that is $150 i don't have. HELP!!! I need the most bang for my time/money. Thanks for the help....:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem with my 60 it wouldn't run unless the choke was out. It turned out to be a leak around the intake/exhaust manifold, I replaced the gasket and the problem was solved. Spray some carb cleaner where they bolt up to the block if if smooths out that's it, also try the same trick where the carb bolts up to the manifold.

Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went back and read the rest of your post. Is your exhaust manifold cracked? Is that where your seeing exhaust comming from. if so that's why it won't run without the chocke pulled out. You can have that welded up.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will check on the exhaust on sunday (busy all day tomorrow)...I just know its coming out...i have rust holes in my current setup, and I knwo it needs to be replaced. I will check on the choke on sunday as well.

Brakes-Bled everything, MC, all 4. Fluid is fine, not losing any. The pedal can be pumped up to feel very firm, but then it hisses at me, and I slowly lose power unless i keep pumping.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
i got the fix for ya!
ditch that damn six banger and dump a chevy V8 in it!:flipoff2: :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts