Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm moving my front leaf spring hangers forward to accomidate my 39.5 TSLs. I run my front leafs with the shackles in front of the spring (my preference:flipoff2::D), and will be running full hydro steering.
My question is, can I run "jonny joints" (or something simular) for my front shackle hanger, without running a panhard bar?? I would think it would be fine since im running full hydro and there is no draglink pushing side to side on the leafs.:confused:
Also, how do they hold up to abuse? Can they break?
I cant deciede whether to use these or just regular mounts and poly bushings.
Are the "jonny-joints" worth it???
What are your opinions on this:question: Will it be ok:question:

Thanks,
btw: This is a trail-only rig..

link to "jonny-joints" http://www.allprooffroad.com/johnny.html

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I asked the same question about the RE S flex joints and got a resounding NO. I guess it gets real squirrelly.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
LCOwner said:
I asked the same question about the RE S flex joints and got a resounding NO. I guess it gets real squirrelly.
Offroad it might work alright, but what is wrong w/ conventional shackles?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i would asy go for it....it would help with bushing life.

as far as jj go ......get the re joints they are much more user friendly;)

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
I did it and got REALLY bad death wobbles anywhere over 20 mph:mad: The whole axle can move about 3 inches to either side. Terrible bump steer, too.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
i would also like to do this in the frame of a reverse shackle setup. lets hear the pros & cons. c-mon!!:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im4yotas said:
I did it and got REALLY bad death wobbles anywhere over 20 mph:mad: The whole axle can move about 3 inches to either side. Terrible bump steer, too.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Yes, and you ran regular crossover steering with "Jonny joints" at the shackles and drove it on the road:rolleyes: Of course you're going to get bumpsteer and death wobble since you have a draglink pushing and pulling the jonny joints side to side and on top of that you are driving at speeds:rolleyes: Think about it... shessh :rolleyes:

Guess you didnt read my post right...
I would be running the jonny jointed shackles:
With FULL HYDRO (nothing pushing springs side to side) and this rig NEVER SEEs THE ROAD...hell it never goes faster than 10mph;):D

So, all things considered i am assuming that it would work just fine.... guess i might have to just try it and find out:p
ANYONE???

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
I think the JJ's would be of more use on the rear axle. Spring track width on the front generally does not put as much twist in the spring as the rear does. Plus, if the axle is not that wide, the tires may have some frame rubbing issues when you are turning and on a side hill.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
TANKOMA said:
Guess you didnt read my post right...

Actually, you didn't read mine right. The entire axle will move side to side about 3 inches just from hitting bumps on the road. Worse on the trail. You think about that:rolleyes: If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. But I can tell you right now, they didn't help much at all, and made it less stable, like more body roll.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Im4yotas said:

Actually, you didn't read mine right. The entire axle will move side to side about 3 inches just from hitting bumps on the road. Worse on the trail. You think about that:rolleyes: If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. But I can tell you right now, they didn't help much at all, and made it less stable, like more body roll.
He still wouldn't have any bump steer. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts