Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How realistic is it to run the Rubicon in a spring under vehicle? I've been considering making the trip, but am I just fooling myself that I would be able to make it with little to no damage.

My rig is a 74 Scout II, 4 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift, 33x12.50s on 8 inch rims, dana 44s, 4.88 gears, power-locs front and rear, reverse shackle, Dana 300 with 4.1 tera low gears, 727 automatic, AMC 258, rock-sliders, and skid plates.

From everything I've heard, it seems that 35's and spring-over is the minimum one should have to attempt this trip, is this true? But if one was to have a good spotter, could one do the trail with minimal body damage with my current set-up?

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
its better to do it spring under. you get better traction that way.
it has been debated time and time again.
i still to this day run a spring under rig, no problems so long as you dont go too fast :)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
It comes down to driver skill more than the rig.
It sounds like your rig could make it without much trouble but the question is........do you feel you are up to the task? :p

Ive done it on 33's and open for years, it can be done.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Sounds like your Scout is pretty set up. You should do just fine. Take your time and have a good run;)

edit- If this is your first trip, be sure to hook up with someone familiur with the trail. It will make it a lot easier if you have a quide;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you guys run your own rigs through the first time or did you ride along with someone else. There is this mystique about the place, so I have know idea what to expect :confused:

How does the part of the trail from Wentworth Springs campground to Loon compare to the rest of the trail?

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
coming in wentworth there is a pretty good lil rock area, but then again you can go around it..

but if you go in wentworth you won't go to loon - those are two different entrances ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have seen toys and jeeps with 31" tires. Yeah it took them longer and they took some bypasses but it is possibile. Most of those rock buggies are just out there to show off. Not much on the trail to challenge a tube buggy. Keep the tires on the biggest rocks and you will be fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The first time at most any endeavor always seems the best - your rig and you will be fine and you'll have more fun than most of the experienced 'con' drivers. DO go with a guide so you ALWAYS stay on the trail & leave NO poop/paper/trash behind. Additionally, No fires or shooting or open booze in vehicle. Help keep the trail open for others.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I run the trail in a '68 Jeepster . . . SUA, 101" WB, very saggy 3" lift and 33's. You should do OK with your 'binder.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
No problem, first time through in 87 I was open on both ends spring under 3:54 gears no granny and 31" tall tires.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Scouty :shaking: :rolleyes: Just suck it up and come with us this weekend. If you are'nt gonna wheel that thing, just sell it and buy a Geo metro :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Up until a short while ago, I always ran the con in a 53 M38a1....

31's
open/open
sprung under
manual steering
and stock axles

it's fun as you want to make it.... just stay out of little sluice, all the rest is doable

Rich

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm going on Friday.
CJ7, worn 32's 3-1/2" lift, 4.56 gears and locked.
I have had the same set up since '96. I have four dents on sheet metal in 10-15 trips.
1 front fender, 2 rocker panels, and one rear corner panel
You'll need rocker protection if you like your sheet metal, but you're rig is up to the task.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
i just went to the con and had no problems i have a 93 wrangler 4in.lift 3in. body 35in swampers 4:56 gears and detroit locker and came out with no body damage i say it was a good day.

good luck. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I ran the con for years with 21/2 sua lift ,open difs, and 33inch tires. a little finess instead of brute strength goes a long way...Goooooo...have fun.. :flipoff2:

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Well I drove through with a 72 Pinto Wagon with a mild body lift and 30's............. :laughing:

Your Scout should do fine. Bring spare driveshafts if you have em and spare axles for the front.

Have fun.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the trail is what you make of it. I have ran twice now. The first year I was SUA with 32's and this year was SOA with the 32's.....had a blast both trips. Just load up your spare shit and run it, you'll have a blast :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts