Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
You're still beaming a signal to space and back.
I doubt lower latency than sending that same signal over terrestrial fiber.

you've got a 500 mile there and back even at the lowest possible orbit.
and that's just to ping the satellite, it's not accounting for the satellite network's latency to get you to whatever connection they're feeding it.

or I can route my shit across fiber for 150 miles and hit the big data pipes in the nearest city.

hopefully it hooks up rural customers, but I don't see it possibly competing with fiber/coax for cost/speed.
There's a pretty good explanation of Starlink's latency here:
https://youtu.be/giQ8xEWjnBs?t=257

Cliff's notes:

Starlink orbits at 550km, so latency up to satellite should be around 4 ms.
Traditional comm satellites orbit at 36,000 km and have a latency around 240 ms.
Starlink is using lasers to communication between satellites
Lasers through fiber optic cables are around 47% slower than lasers transmitted in a vacuum.
All that combined could very well make starlink much faster over long distances(the example the video gives is New York to London).

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.
and it's probably still going to cost more.
And for someone who is doing commodity trading and can write it off, they will be glad to pay it.
Cost wise, it will be more expensive for upkeep as well as the satellites will be more likely to have their orbits decay and the satellites will not last as long.
On the plus side, there will be less junk in space as they should de-orbit much quicker.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
And for someone who is doing commodity trading and can write it off, they will be glad to pay it.
Cost wise, it will be more expensive for upkeep as well as the satellites will be more likely to have their orbits decay and the satellites will not last as long.
On the plus side, there will be less junk in space as they should de-orbit much quicker.

Aaron Z

well hopefully they'll figure out that whole

'oh your satellite internet doesn't work? Tell me what the weather is outside.'
because that's pretty much the first thing that hughesnet will ask you.
and if you say it's anything other than clear and sunny they'll tell you it's atmospheric related issues and not their problem.

maybe since it's much closer.
but I'd still not plan on it working during heavy rain.

·
Registered
38,234 Posts

That seems to be an issue with dish type satellite communication. which depends on a geo-syncronous satellite. LEO satellites should behave much more like moving cell towers.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
it's a very interesting story of what we used to be able to do in this country with nothing more than a couple of dudes and a will to make shit happen.

you know, before government got involed and would require ten years of flight testing before they let it do anything.
inorite?
guy made an entire business out of a single plane cobbled together

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
, but I don't see it possibly competing with fiber/coax for cost/speed.
actually one of the selling points was the higher speed of light in vacuum of space vs much slower through fiber
meant that the transatlantic run was something like 75% the time of a dedicated fiber line, was explained as something that stockbrokers will pay shitloads of money they somehow make appear out of nowhere for

I'd still bet on it being clear weather only, like sat TV...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
actually one of the selling points was the higher speed of light in vacuum of space vs much slower through fiber
meant that the transatlantic run was something like 75% the time of a dedicated fiber line, was explained as something that stockbrokers will pay shitloads of money they somehow make appear out of nowhere for

I'd still bet on it being clear weather only, like sat TV...
Put up a 3' (or 6') dish and it will have less problems with bad weather.
Again, if his target market is stockbrokers who want to get a connection faster than they can with fiber, putting up a 3' or 6' dish on the roof will not be a problem.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
38,234 Posts
Again, if his target market is stockbrokers who want to get a connection faster than they can with fiber, putting up a 3' or 6' dish on the roof will not be a problem.
Maybe not, but the insane latency involved in shooting photons at a satellite in geo-syncronous orbit will definitely be a problem.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts

Aaron Z
if the only reason to operate it is to serve a tiny niche market it's not going to be very profitable is it?

again, I don't see how they plan to compete with coax/fiber when it comes to cost vs speed.

assuming they can make it work.
some light reading and it seems pretty pie in the sky ambitious with a network of hundreds of satellites before it can deliver on it's pormises.

which brings us back to:
Can they find enough money to actually bring all these technologically promising things to fruition?

·
Registered
12,361 Posts

because that's pretty much the first thing that hughesnet will ask you.
and if you say it's anything other than clear and sunny they'll tell you it's atmospheric related issues and not their problem.

maybe since it's much closer.
but I'd still not plan on it working during heavy rain.
I installed and sold hughes net from 2010-2015. Unless your dish was covered in snow, or you had a monster storm running through, weather doesn't affect them if they are installed properly. The newer stuff is even more resilient from what my brother tells me. Latency still sucks. I hear that they are doing LEO satellites as well(may even be in bed with musk).

However, their tech support (especially for customers) is fucking terrible. And the weather was always their first line for some stupid reason.

·
Registered
12,361 Posts

Aaron Z
You cant just throw a bigger dish on 2 way commincations systems(internet). all the equipment is sized to that particular dish. And good luck pointing a ka dish on your own.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts