Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I WAS BLOWING OUT ALL THE OL MUD AND RUST THATS BEEN TRAPPED IN THE FRAME RAILS OF THE CRUISER SINCE I GOT IT, AND AS I DID THIS I NOTICED A SMALL CRACK IN THE FRAME RAIL BOXING. I PUSHED ON IT AND I WAS ABLE TO PUSH OUT A INCH SIZED HOLE. THERE IS A PRETTY PITTED OUT SECTION ABOUT 1.5" AROUND ON THE FRAME RAIL ACROSS FROM IT. I REALLY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PLATE OVER IT AT THIS POINT BECAUSE I'M GONNA HAVE TO FLAME CUT THE SECTION OUT OF A BIG PEICE OF FLAT PLATE I DONT HAVE, AND DO BOTH SIDES OF EACH FRAME RAIL AND ITS JUST A PAIN IN THE ASS WHEN YOU WANT THIS THING RUNNING now. SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? I KNOW YOU ARE ADAMANT ABOUT HOW HARDCORE YOU ARE AND HOW US SOUTHWEST GUYS ARE PUSS ABOUT RUST, BUT I WILL NOT TEAR THIS ENTIRE RIG DOWN TO CHANGE THE FRAME IN THE NEXT 4 YEARS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ON A TOTALLY UNREALTED NOTE, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THESE TABS FOR THE RADIATOR FRAME ARE LEVEL AND ONLY APEAR TO SLANT DOWN BECAUSE THE FRAME IS SLANTING UP AT THIS POINT, OR DO THEY REALLY SLANT DOWN?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KINDA HARD TO SEE THERE IN THAT ONE

Attachments

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
that is a common area for rust

why not gusset it with some angle, temporarily for five years or so :flipoff2:

oh and if you want it running now, you are 3 months away at least, i dont even see a engine in it yet :flipoff2: you guys all work slow!!!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I'm with Nolen on this one. Just go by any welding shop and pick up a small chunk of scrap, wire brush the area well and weld a scab plate over it. 15 minute fix at best.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:
I REALLY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PLATE OVER IT AT THIS POINT BECAUSE I'M GONNA HAVE TO FLAME CUT THE SECTION OUT OF A BIG PEICE OF FLAT PLATE I DONT HAVE,/SIZE]

Figure out what size you need, and order it "cut to size" from www.metalmart.com

You'll pay a premium, but at times I have needed 4" x 16" x 1/2" thick... just cool to have the piece UPS'd to my front door... and I'm in business. Of course since then I bought a big ol' Plasma cutter... :D

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BJ: TRUST ME DUDE, ON THE BUDJET AND FACILITIES I AM LIMITED TO, ITS COMING ALONG JUST FINE.

WHY NOT GUSSET IT WITH A HUNK OF SCRAP OR ANGLE? CAUSE THATS GHETTO. I COULD MAKE A PLATE FOR IT TO FIT PERFECTLY OUT OF 1/4 OR 3/8 BUT I DONT WANT TO SPEND ALL THE TIME THE REQUIRES IN FAB AND WELDING. OHWELL HUH?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Anyone have the list of Cruiser Commandments?

8. Thou shall not botty fab thy cruiser....

Little humor: No shop at the moment, out working on the cruiser in the cold drizzle. Hell, I still love it. Nothing like wrenching on your own rig, wondering which BAG has the sockets in it... wondering if the 1/2" rachet was last in your closet, daily driver, or the "tool box" (i.e. trailer park special... non running vehicle in the driveway). This is a little different from the days when the CLEANEST room in the house was the garage!

You know what... the WORST day wrenching on your rig is still the best... as you get time to wrench on it! :)

Oh... Bumper mount is, uh, temporary at most... until I get a shop built! :)

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
wngrog said:
Man I have so many stress cracks in my frame....

Just weld it up.............
What he said.

Hell go look at any jeep frame out there and it will have 100 times more stress cracks, rust holes and patches then any cruiser. Reinforce it and move on. :D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
roundrocktom said:
Anyone have the list of Cruiser Commandments?

8. Thou shall not botty fab thy cruiser....

Little humor: No shop at the moment, out working on the cruiser in the cold drizzle. Hell, I still love it. Nothing like wrenching on your own rig, wondering which BAG has the sockets in it... wondering if the 1/2" rachet was last in your closet, daily driver, or the "tool box" (i.e. trailer park special... non running vehicle in the driveway). This is a little different from the days when the CLEANEST room in the house was the garage!

You know what... the WORST day wrenching on your rig is still the best... as you get time to wrench on it! :)

Oh... Bumper mount is, uh, temporary at most... until I get a shop built! :)

so you're bumper mount is temporary at best?
does that means its booty fab? hmmm to some maybe, i dont think that should be a commandment

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUSTED OUT THE DIE GRINDER AND FOUND OUT HOW BIG THE PITTED SPOT IS. IT GREW CONSIDERABLY ;) SO I GUESS ITS GONNA GET A REAL PATCH

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dude thats nothin. weld in a piece of plate and build your truck. I craked my frame 3 times last summer and I just fixed it last week. All I used was 1/8 plate cut to the contour of the frame. I bet its now stronger than stock.:)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JOB WORTH DOING'S WORTH DOING RIGHT, NUH? :)

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
i dont think that by welding a plate over it that its not done right, sure it looks more rough, wont be worth as much, but hey that frame will be bent like a prezel within a season or two and youll be replacing it anyways

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thought you were in rust country! Ever look at all the FJ60s in northern New Mexico? See how rusted they are due to the generous amounts of salt they throw on the roads in winter? It's especially bad there in Santa Fe, the FJ60 capital of the world. I know my '84 is in bad shape after 17 years in Los Alamos, I've got a BIG chunk of frame rusted out on the inside of the frame just behind the rear axle - guess I'd better fix it soon.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts