Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys...I have searched with no luck....I have only had my Fox coilovers for a little over a year and it hasnt been off road yet due too no front driveshaft and t-case issues...anyways...My truck sat for prolly 8 months with no driving what so ever, I only drove it a few months last winter. Has anyone had the same problems with their coilovers? I would think if you pay so much for damn nice suspension components, they wouldnt rust, especially if you take care of them...I always try and keep them as clean as I can...but you can only do so much to protect them against road grime. This kinda pisses me off, cuz they look like shit...Can anyone give me any ideas or help??? Thanks in advance..

Brian

BTW I have a few pics if someone will host them for me....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, yea, kinda.......I was kinda thinking that there might be something wrong with the plating or something....Do you think Fox will do anything?

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Not sure if they would do anything for you or not. A majority of the time the finish of a component, especially a suspension part, is not covered because it is out of the control of the company once it gets into the customers hands. Generally the finish is not considered a defect in manufacturing. Worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not sure about the fox's. But my swayaways rusted real bad. I truely believe that the combonation of the alum. adjusting collar and the steel tube next to eachother are corosive. Both elements togther from a battery like cemical reaction. All saw said was to anti-seze them. I had to use a oxy tourch to get my collars to spin after soaking them in pb blaster for 2 weeks. I even broke 2 spanner wrenchs on them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are prolly right....they will say its "mother natures fault" or something like that....Have you ever seen any rusty coilovers?

Brian

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that sucks....since I have them off, I will be cleaning them with a scotch brite pad or something......any ideas on what I should keep on the bodies? WD-40? silicone lube?

Brian

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,091 Posts
The zinc plating on Fox and SAW's is designed to corrode before the base material. Generally a fuzzy white corrosion is formed. The real test is the appearance of red rust.

Gold zinc is much more resistant to corrosion than clear. Something in the tint. Cad plating is better but still sucks over time. Electroless Nickle is better than either Cad or Zinc, but it definately isn't perfect, and it is much more expensive. Powder coat is much better, but it doesn't work so well on threaded surfaces.

It is very hard to find a silver plating that is cost effective and resistant to corrosion.

Bilstein 5100's also have corrosion issues.

Fox started out as a race shock, I don't think long term cosmetic concerns were an issue. Emery cloth or scotch brite em. Helps for a while.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Big96zr2 said:
...any ideas on what I should keep on the bodies? WD-40? silicone lube?
If I understand you correctly, you mean the cylindrical body of the shock that the piston rod travels in. I didn't understand if it is painted or paintable. If so, you could spray or brush on Restomotive Lab's POR 15 and topcoat the POR 15 with one of their Hardnose Paints that have the UV protection POR 15 does not. Or topcoat the POR 15 with any ol' paint, since what's under would do the protecting. Use a high quality natural brush (like for trim) and it will look sprayed. Zinc phosphate (Resto's Metal Ready) will convert any rust to zinc oxide for good paint adhesion and to stave off further rust under the new paint.

POR 15 is available at most auto body paint stores in little 4 oz. cans. One 4 oz. can will go beyond just 4 shocks. Save shipping this way.

For a wax or polish resistent to winter driving, consider DuraShine. Apply, wait to dry 10 mins, spray off excess. No rubbing, buffing, or hand drying. And no white wax powder residue, so even use it on the coils themselves.

Walt<><

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I had quite a bit of rust on my saw shocks after a couple years of use. The thing that got mine back to life was good old elbow grease. I used stainless steel wire brushes and went to town. It never got them back to super shiny brand new but they looked pretty good. I bought new adjusters which spun with no problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oK, well I am going to tear them down tomorrow and to try and clean them up. Gotta run to Lowes tomorrow anyway, maybe there is something there that I can use to clean them up with...thanks for the input so far.................any other ideas?

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i've got fox's on my buggy, and the shocks have been re-used for 3 seasons now, with zero workability issues, but they do get surface rust on the bodies if the rig get's wet then is parked for a period of time. i'm pretty sure it has to do with dirt/grit getting onto teh shock, then the dual rate slider going up and down sanding the finish off the body. it doesn't bother me much since after about 5 min of use the thing's are shiny again :D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I know this envovles reading the directions, but all Fox shocks come with an instruction sheet, that explains that you have to clean and coat the shock with wax on a regular basis. I use a light motorcycle spray wax for detailing bikes. This not only keeps things nice and pretty, but it also gives the slider some freedom.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
directions are fine and dandy....but I didnt get any....go figure. I appreciate the ideas that I have gotten from everyone. I also wanted to see if I was the only one or if it was common for them to rust. Now that I have some input on what to use, I will be tryin them out. thanks

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts