Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a product that helps loosen up rusted nuts and bolts? I'm trying to pull the bed off my Toyota (came from the East Coast) and there are a couple nuts that just won't budge. I know that rust tends to bond things together but is there something out there that breaks up that bond? Tryed all the regular stuff such as WD-40 and Pennzoil Lube but still tight. Anybody tryed something that really works well?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
A torch :flipoff2:

Seriously, WD40 is... well... crap. I've had decent luck with ProLong's penetrating lubricant, but I suspect you'll get several other replies shortly recommending this:

PB BLASTER IS THE SHIT!

Should be all of $3 at AutoZone or any other car parts store.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree...WD40 is crap. It is good for...um....well.....removing sticky stuff.

PB is good stuff. I use JB80 made by Justice Brothers. That works well too. My favorite is the torch though....:D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I used my impact wrench, because air tools kick fawking ass! :flipoff2: if 2000 lb-ft of torque wont take it off, the torch+2000 lb-ft of torque will!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. Yeah I don't have an impact or a torch so I have got to use what I got, a 1/2 drive wrench, an extension, and a 17mm socket. Doing things the old fashioned way sucks!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
try a butane torch, only like 13 bucks at wal mart or sears...and heat the nut for a while...heat will cause it to expand, have a wrench on it while heating it up and start turning back and forth. It worked for me when i had to get a castle nut of a tie rod end.

good luck;)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
DX2Dave said:
I used my impact wrench, because air tools kick fawking ass! :flipoff2: if 2000 lb-ft of torque wont take it off, the torch+2000 lb-ft of torque will!!!
or use a cheater bar on a braker bar and break it off, (if it doesn't turn.)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've had awesome luck with PB Blaster, spray it liberally and then tap on it with a ball peen hammer, the vibrations will help the PBB soak into the space between the two, however minute. Leave it overnite, then spray again, repeat the process, then try to take it off the third time around.

There's a couple of other products out there that are even BETTER but they're expensive and tough to find: Kroil, and Mouse Milk. Both are used regularly in aviation applications. I only have personal experience with Mouse Milk and it is AWESOME. Bought it online a few years ago when someone on another BBB posted a link and a sales offer, just ran out of it a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I recommend spraying it down in some stuff (i havent used PB blaster, but i will try it one of these days). Then put on your braker bar, extention, socket, etc, and attach a cheater bar. Mine is 8' long. 220 lbsX8foot long bar=shit load of torque. If that doesn't take it off, it will break off the bolt head, but either way, the bed will come off. :flipoff2:

Garrett

·
Registered
407 Posts
tuckn18s said:
Anyone know of a product that helps loosen up rusted nuts and bolts? I'm trying to pull the bed off my Toyota (came from the East Coast) and there are a couple nuts that just won't budge. I know that rust tends to bond things together but is there something out there that breaks up that bond? Tryed all the regular stuff such as WD-40 and Pennzoil Lube but still tight. Anybody tryed something that really works well?
hehe.. HAVE FUN! Misery loves company. I just took mine off last weekend. PB-Blaster is your friend. And I pitty you for your lack of an impact. Even then, my impact couldn't break a couple of them and I had to resort to the breaker bar w/cheater. One of them was a real PITA and required the Oxy/Act torch. The plate that is supposed to keep the bolt from turning spun and bent all to hell. So I had to give up and torch the nut off. It was one by the gas tank too :nuke: ... be VERY carefull and have a fire extinguisher handy if you attempt this with a borrowed torch. The bushings tend to light on fire for some reason. :p

Actually, don't torch near the gas tank, go buy a nut splitter. Do as I say, not as I do. :flipoff2:

One other tip. If you don't care about the bed, mine was rusted and beyond saving, get out the sawsall and remove enough of the bed to avoid the use of an extension on that breaker bar. You will get much more torque on the nut that way. Just watch those sharp egdes.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I fight rust almost every time I work on my truck.

If you don't need the nut anymore - ANGLE GRINDER.

If you do still need it, or it's a bolt that you need to get out of threads, use a propane torch to heat it up for about 45-60 seconds. I keep one in my tool kit all the time. Much easier than waiting for chemicals to work, IF they work at all.

Lube EVERYTHING before you put it back together! Makes it much easier the next time :D

If it's an east coast truck, spray a bunch of oil inside the frame to slow down the rust in there. I think you're insane for getting an east coast rust truck since you line in AZ, but whatever :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I vote for the jb80 but use the propane torch first then spray the heck out of it.
30 years ago there was this stuff called instant tremor, the stuff would pop the rust off and leave this gun blue color to the steel. If anyone knows if this is still made and by whom and who sells it please email me at
[email protected]

thank you for your time

oh yeh, I use anti seize on just about everything that I do take apart. sure helps the next time. I must have 5 or 6 cans and or tubes of the stuff laying around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts