Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother gave me 400 rounds of Wolf in the steel cased 7.62x39 variety. The casing has some light surface rust.

Should I use it as is?

Don't use it?

Clean it? (how?)

I was going to clean them with the wire wheel and use it. Will I harm my SKS? or myself or any bystanders?

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can just put it in a case tumbler. My friend had a bunch of that crap. It wouldn't feed. He tumbled it and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I`d clean it with some fine steel wool. Live rounds floping around in any kind of case tumbler is a VERY bad idea. :shaking:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Don't use oil or wd40 though. It can ruin the primers or powder

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I`d clean it with some fine steel wool. Live rounds floping around in any kind of case tumbler is a VERY bad idea. :shaking:
I thought about this- but for 400 this will be time consuming. Can I use the wire wheel on the benchtop grinder?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I thought about this- but for 400 this will be time consuming. Can I use the wire wheel on the benchtop grinder?
I would rather spend the $40 on a cheap case tumbler

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Hell, given that it's probablygoing through an AK, I'd shoot some of it first, and only worry about it if it fails to feed. ;)

Then... I'm with Gil. I'd rather spend $40 on a tumbler than hand-polish 400 rounds.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I know a guy who tumbled some reloaded 223...he blew up his upper...

I say tumble that 7.62...I did it to some indian crap...

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I once heard some guy state that he tumbled all his "match" ammo because of the fact gunpowder settles during transport. :shaking:

So hey, if it works for $$$$ match shooters, then go for it.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think I would draw the line at something that moves at 3500 rpm:flipoff2:

Flinging loaded ammo about the room could get exciting. Lots of pointy things in my shop. With my luck a flying cartrige would fly tail first into the horn of my anvil:nuke:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I would draw the line at something that moves at 3500 rpm:flipoff2:

Flinging loaded ammo about the room could get exciting. Lots of pointy things in my shop. With my luck a flying cartrige would fly tail first into the horn of my anvil:nuke:

I did think about that as I cleaned about 60 of them this morning via wire wheel. I was careful to not let them get caught on a wire:).

In doing the cleaning I found two of them where the case was rusted so bad there was a hole in it- I did not fire those two!!

How do ya'all dispose of bad ammo? Take apart and burn the gun powder?? Throw in the trash? Throw them down range next time you are there?

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
How do ya'all dispose of bad ammo? Take apart and burn the gun powder?? Throw in the trash? Throw them down range next time you are there?
Most of the ranges I frequent have a tub thing (looks like a clearing barrel) were someone can dispose of any hangfires.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I did think about that as I cleaned about 60 of them this morning via wire wheel. I was careful to not let them get caught on a wire:).

If you managed to keep all your fingers in the process-You Win!:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
If there's a hole in the case pour some oil on it or better yet soak it in WD-40. The WD-40 will render the primer useless. Dispose of in the trash or any other place you want.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Kenetic puller. Set up and WACK! Never tried it on steel case though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts