Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are considering a rv and cant decide between gas and diesel(class A). obviously in a perfect world I would always just buy the diesel, but we probably wont drive this rv 4000 a year. Mileage numbers I have found on the interwebs have been all over the map. If I can get 7 with a gasser pulling 3000lb I would be happy I think.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I have a small (26') class A with a 8.1 gas.
Towing my 24' enclosed full of toys I get 9mpg.

My buddy has a 32' class A with a V10.
He pulls a 22' v-nose enclosed. He gets 7.

·
Registered
200 Posts
another 2004 class c ford v10. pulling a 20 tilt trailer and my rig i get in the 7s.
plenty of power cept on the hardest of hills it'll get down to bout 52 mph.
been very reliable.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
1998 34'460 pulling 7 to 8k total 6 or 7

·
Registered
577 Posts
Our '99 29' Class C with a V10, towing a 24' enclosed weighing 7-8k getting 6.5-7.5mpg running a bit over 65mph

the 87' 26' Class C with a 460 it replaced got 5-5.5 mpg towing the same load. It would see as high as 6.5 with an open trailer

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
what my brother had to say about his 98 adventurer 34' class A with a v10 and 4r110
5 mpg to Harlan towing the jeep.

6.1 mpg to home towing the jeep.
what macgyver had to say about his class c v10 with 5r110

My v10 averaged 7 to 7.5 over 1750 miles on our two week adventure.

mac 'why we have big gas tanks' gyvr
both were faster than my uhaul toterhome on the big hills.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
36' towing 5k (boat & trailer) on flat ground. Averaged just under 6 on a 400 mile round trip. Sold that fucker quick:laughing:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a 2000 30ft class A no slides with a V10, I get 6.5-7. I could do better if I slow down some but it cruises at 65-70mph

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 40' Diesel pusher.. I get 7.5 mpg all the time.. with a trailer, without one, flat towing a car etc..
I have a 2003 38' diesel pusher with a 5.9 cummins in it. Cargo trailer with 6000 lbs or flat towing our jeep doesn't doesn't change mileage. Get a solid 8.5 mpg. Now throw in a head wind and I've seen 5 mpg. Makes 90 gallons of diesel go away fast!

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I've got a 40' class A with a Cat C7. Pulling my 20ft enclosed or our Grand Cherokee with 4 wheels on the ground I get 8.5mpg. By itself I do a little better - maybe 9.

Not the fastest up the hills but I get there just as fast as the pickup crowd. They fuel up more often (smaller tank) and they need more pit stops to keep the wife happy - mine just goes for a walk.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I have a 2003 38' diesel pusher with a 5.9 cummins in it. Cargo trailer with 6000 lbs or flat towing our jeep doesn't doesn't change mileage. Get a solid 8.5 mpg. Now throw in a head wind and I've seen 5 mpg. Makes 90 gallons of diesel go away fast!
Throw an equipment trailer and a backhoe behind it, then you will get 25 mpg :flipoff2:

I am actually pretty surprised at the numbers every one is posting, I get about 10 in my 97 powerstroke doing 70 with my 8' cab over (no trailer) . I did get as good as 13.5 when I slowed down. I only have towed with it once, I got 12ish @ 60.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I have a small (26') class A with a 8.1 gas.
Towing my 24' enclosed full of toys I get 9mpg.

My buddy has a 32' class A with a V10.
He pulls a 22' v-nose enclosed. He gets 7.

Guess I should add that my little 26' coach has no slides etc... Its pretty light.
It also has a nice 6-speed Allison transmission.
It cruises at 2000-2300 RPM and I usually cruise 65MPH with the cruise on. Never faster...

These days I'm almost thinking that I would gladly give up 2MPG for 10 more feet and 2 more slides..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Throw an equipment trailer and a backhoe behind it, then you will get 25 mpg :flipoff2:

I am actually pretty surprised at the numbers, I get about 10 in my 97 powerstroke doing 70 with my 8' cab over. I did get as good as 13.5 when I slowed down.
I knew I was doing something wrong. Maybe if I put enough weight behind it I can get it to start making fuel!:D. It can be a thirst bitch

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the replies. how fast do yall cruise? Obviously I would prefer a diesel pusher, but I dont think I will drive it enough to justify it, so I am looking at gassers, specifically v-10 setups. Looking at ~2000 models. Require one slide, prefer two. We probably wont drive it 4000 miles a year so the mileage difference(which appears to be fairly neglible) shouldnt force me into a diesel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This "RV" as you see it gets 9.3-10 MPG. total RV & Trailer load 20K lbs
WithOUT towing on a 50 mile interstate test got 11.7 MPG at 65MPH
94 12V 5.9L Cummins-6sp Manual trans
It has been re-geared (3.70) for MPG and highway speeds.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one day I want to attempt to convert another bus, but this time it wont be a school bus. we use our camper/rv too much to not have the conveniences of home. Where we normally ride is cloud9 ranch which is only 40 miles away, so we are there nearly every weekend

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
thanks for the replies. how fast do yall cruise? Obviously I would prefer a diesel pusher, but I dont think I will drive it enough to justify it, so I am looking at gassers, specifically v-10 setups. Looking at ~2000 models. Require one slide, prefer two. We probably wont drive it 4000 miles a year so the mileage difference(which appears to be fairly neglible) shouldnt force me into a diesel.
Most RVs are happiest at or near the speed limit. Doing much more than 70MPH will burn a lot of fuel in a hurry and they get really sketchy in a cross wind at speed.

One other consideration - you won't find a gasser rated to tow more than 5,000lb. Most can't handle any tongue weight (frame extensions won't allow it) and they tend to be at (or over) weight already. Lots of people tow car trailers anyway but I doubt you'll find anyone doing it legally.

Stepping up to a diesel pusher gets you an exhaust brake and the extra weight capacity on the chassis. I don't touch my brakes going down a steep grade. A gasser (especially an older one with no grade braking on the transmission) is going to need to be pretty careful on the hills.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts