Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and the information is kind of broad with the majority saying go with a late '80's box for the TJ. It seems the box for the S-10 is the same from '82-'92.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I beleive that 95 was the switch to the second gen trucks. There is no difference between the boxes at all until you get to the switch. Any year prior should work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think it is. I installed a fast-ratio box out of a '92 z28 Camaro into my '90 S10 blazer. Still have the s10 box if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kbud said:
I think it is. I installed a fast-ratio box out of a '92 z28 Camaro into my '90 S10 blazer. Still have the s10 box if anyone is interested.
How much do you want for it? Is it in good shape?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
He is in Tennessee... Are you looking for long or short box? I got both, and the shortbed is almost ready to hit the road.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYRMAN said:
He is in Tennessee... Are you looking for long or short box? I got both, and the shortbed is almost ready to hit the road.
We are talking steering boxes. :D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
TDW said:

We are talking steering boxes. :D

Now you tell me.:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

You can have the box out of the 2 wheel drive, but I need the box in the 4x4 for now,

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYRMAN said:

Now you tell me.:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

You can have the box out of the 2 wheel drive, but I need the box in the 4x4 for now,
Is there a difference between the 2wd and 4wd steering ( :D ) boxes, that you know of?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Not sure... Soon as I get motivated to do anything, I'll take my fat ass out and look for external differences.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
kbud said:
Are they the same size externally and all? That seems like a sweet swap idea!

·
Registered
823 Posts
ive got one from a 99 s10. has a big 76z on the side of it. bolted right on, 3 bolts like a tj. think it's 2.75-3 turns lock to lock.

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
anything nwer than 87 should bolt right up but if you want a good box then stay older than 96. that is when they started putting in the weaker seal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pdaddy said:

Are they the same size externally and all? That seems like a sweet swap idea!
Just unbolted the original and bolted the camaro in. Used the original pitman. I (uhem) lowered it 2 inches, and installed 16"s. Handles and rides a lot better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I searched for the thread that may have started this one but had no luck. What is the reason for swapping to a s-10 box? Quicker steering? Also, what years were the most desirable S-10 boxes made? If I read this right, a Camaro steering box works also? Thanks for any insight.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ChinLei said:
I searched for the thread that may have started this one but had no luck. What is the reason for swapping to a s-10 box? Quicker steering? Also, what years were the most desirable S-10 boxes made? If I read this right, a Camaro steering box works also? Thanks for any insight.
Main reason for me is availability at the yards. Around here there are many more S-10s than are Jeeps. As far as the box goes three is a better seal in the, as Matt mentioned above, '88-'95 boxes. I cannot comment on the Camaro box as I do not have any info on that.

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
The main reason for changing is because TJ boxes are CRAP.
older pre 95 S10 boxes have a better seal and bearing configuration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts