Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... i'm new to this going fast stuff and i want to build a truck. i have a 4x4 s-10 i'd like to build, i know they're not popular to build for the desert and i've read the reasons (weak frame, no aftermarket, etc...). I'd like to do the s10 cause they're less common too. is there any way to build the front suspension to be any good on a small budget? i don't want a trophy truck (yet) just something for pismo, mojave, and places like that. any suggestions?

i will build this one no matter what. just looking for some direction on how to do the front suspension so the trial/error stuff doesn't last as long. sorry for the long post and thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
G-Machine makes a front kit for the S-Dimes, not sure on the cost, but it's a cool set-up and gets 14" of actual useable travel, plus GMR are cool guys to deal with. However, and this is a big however, if you sold the Dime and bought a Ranger you could either build a truck just as capable for a lot less, or spend the same cash and end up with a more capable truck, not what you want to hear, but an early 90's Ranger is your best option.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya... i know the other trucks are more cost effective. but i want to be different so i want the 10. thanks for the replies... i guess i gotta start learning how to build a front end

·
Registered
26 Posts
ya... i know the other trucks are more cost effective. but i want to be different so i want the 10. thanks for the replies... i guess i gotta start learning how to build a front end
You've got to be realistic with this. You'll need to fab upper arms, lower arms, custom spindles that accept the CV's, custom longer cv axles to accept a longer track width and custom steering. That's all besides the hoop that will also be the mount for coil over shock. Unless you have the experience, tooling and a big budget this may turn into a nightmare for you. Even if you pulled this off, the steering in this truck wouldn't last.

I understand and respect the 'wanna be different'. But you also have to be reasonable. There's many reasons why the biggest and baddest shops in so-cal won't touch an S10. Your determination to be different, may just be the end of you desert truck aspirations.

If you are hell-bent on a S10, atleast find a 2wd S10.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty hell bent on it. i was thinking about converting it to a ranger ttb front end. i found a truck online that was done that way and it seemed to work well. i know i'll need to do alot of work to keep 4wd so 2wd is probably what i'll end up with. i appreciate the fact that these aren't built and i do understand the reasons. i'm not looking to goo superfast just want to cruise the desert without beating my self up. if i decide i like this type of offroading i'll most likely build a newer truck on a bigger budget. i'm just trying toget my feet wet at this point

thanks again for the help and comments

·
Registered
466 Posts
No slam on you, but I love it when people say they want to be different. Some times people pull it off and awsome for them. It just seems that people build sub par vehicles to be "different" and they spend the time trynig to get it going while the rest of us play.

Good example is my roomate's build, wanted to be different and all he ended up with was a very jenky and unreliable rig. Please prove me wrong though.

Ranger or toyota for a good solid starter.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know this might take the truck a little different direction... but how does a solid front axle do in faster terrain? i've been looking into that as another front end option as well. it would be either a 3 or 4 link and coilovers. tire size would likely be a 33 with 35's as an option.

again sorry for all the newbie ?'s

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Run a radius arm with coilovers setup (on the straight axle). Keep the tire size on the smaller side for less weight and breakage. Don't expect miracles but with some tuning it will run well. Oh and hydro bumpstops are a must! Good luck and post pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Who says you can't race an s-truck? :shaking: I agree with you dude. as soon as I get done moving I'm gonna try and start building a front long travel suspension for mine. I saw an '04 chevy full size with a j-arm type suspension that he put a coil-over on kapt the 4wd. I can't remember where though if I find it I'll post it. If you really want to think outside of the box....you could put a solid axle under the front. you can actually get a lot of travel out of solid axles (EX: jeepspeed, old school toyota):flipoff2:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Solid axle means you have to deal with differential/oil pan clearance. Drivers/co-dogs fondly refer to the 1706 JS car as a paint shaker on steroids. Solid axle would not be my first choice for a race truck.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
S10's suck to build. I'm just finishing my second straight axled s10 build and they suck. The 2 frame rails are not semetrical which makes fab work a major night mear. Mine is straight axled on full widths, s10 leafs all the way around, 36's, to make it sit low I ended up mounting the front leafs into the frame to keep it low.

If you could figure out a way to build a long travel IFS kit that would be cool.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I would contact Mike at The Pirate Lab... Tell him Brandon sent you. 714-376-6113. He is doing an S-10 right now and the thing is turning out SICK. He might possibly be able to fab a "kit" based of what hes doing on his current build.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's in process. will be using a 44 with long radius arms and coils for now. maybe use coilovers if i can afford them. i rode in a fullsize bronco with this setup and it rode great in the rough stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts