Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for some links to other good tech/info web sites about the newer cummins turbo diesel 4x4's. been searching and reading, but i got some basic questions i can't seem to find(or filter through the crap) answers to:
do the AAM 9.25 fronts have CAD (salibury with disconnects) axles.
what's the difference between the 6-speed and the optional HD 6-speed tranny.
wondering about actual gas mileage.

anyone planning on a new purchase or just purchased one?
any must have options? i want a "plain jane" lever operated transfercase/rubber floor/no un-needed extra hi-tech stuff to break/fix. wish i could get a "new" 1993 :shaking:

i'm waiting/wanting to order a 2006, 4x4, 4 door, short bed, single rear wheel (for my return to the states in a year, to use a daily driver/tow rig)
also i'm still undecided, looking at Chevy's 2500hd also (duramax or 8.1)
thanks for any help.............

·
Registered
711 Posts
3/4tonYJ said:
i'm looking for some links to other good tech/info web sites about the newer cummins turbo diesel 4x4's. been searching and reading, but i got some basic questions i can't seem to find(or filter through the crap) answers to:
do the AAM 9.25 fronts have CAD (salibury with disconnects) axles.
what's the difference between the 6-speed and the optional HD 6-speed tranny.
wondering about actual gas mileage.

anyone planning on a new purchase or just purchased one?
any must have options? i want a "plain jane" lever operated transfercase/rubber floor/no un-needed extra hi-tech stuff to break/fix. wish i could get a "new" 1993 :shaking:

i'm waiting/wanting to order a 2006, 4x4, 4 door, short bed, single rear wheel (for my return to the states in a year, to use a daily driver/tow rig)
also i'm still undecided, looking at Chevy's 2500hd also (duramax or 8.1)
thanks for any help.............
The AAM axles do not have a CAD unit.
Not sure on the tranny. Ive got an auto in mine
I pull right around 20 MPG

·
Registered
125 Posts
The G-56 is the new tranny, they dropped the NV-5600. Time will tell if the G-56 is a good tranny. The diesel only has one 6 speed to offer, the G-56. The NV-5600 is a beast, at around 380lb dry. The G-56 is an aluminum case, and the flywheel is a dual mass design. With the weight some guys pull with these trannies, we'll see if it holds up.
By the time you make it back over, there should be some real experiences with the new tranny.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have read that someone has already twisted the input shaft off in the G56.

I own an 04 with the 5600 and 600CTD...with 4.10s and 265s I get about 18 mpg...with 35s, I get 23-24mpg (yes, that is real).

I am not fond of DC and their autos, the reason I went with the 5600. They only offer one of the 6spds in the CTDs...the G56 was intro'd in 2005 when they dropped the 5600...the "other" 6spd is that found behind the gas engines. Figure about 2 years and they will be back with the NVGs.

steved

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info,
I'm going to be ordering a truck before i come back, and have it waiting for me, :bounce2: there are "special dealers" overseas to "special order" vehicles for military and DOD cilivians living overseas. They of course don't have a clue about what the trucks come with (but they are experts on the availiable rebates/discounts (GM has a $6000 deal on 2006's pre-odered before september)

so i just checked Dodge's web site and "built a truck" again, and they offer 2 different 6-speed manuals, one is an extra $400 and is listed as a "HD".
the G56 maybe be a great tranny, but i don't want to be one of the "initial testers"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts