Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 01 F-250 that I have lifted 8 and is on 40's. I am looking to get my transmission and shifting in order with the size of my tires. Would the Superchip be a way to go? And will it help with my mileage, and transmission life? Is it a good chip to go with and is it easy to use? I've done a bit of research myself, but I want to know a little more from others.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
either way I'd seriously look at getting an upgraded tranny - with the 40" tires and a chipped motor, the tranny will have a diminished life no matter how easy on it you are. As far as chips go - I would suggest a custom one from some place like diesel innovations or such - the superchips are good, but have more of a cookie cutter program rather than one tuned to your rig. The best would be to get one tuned on a dyno for you. To learn almost more than you ever wanted to know about the chips available and what people think of them, check out www.thedieselstop.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro I wouldn't have thought of going custom or looking into a new tranny. Yeah, I guess I couldn't really expect a chip to solve all of my problems.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
since your shifting etc is controlled electronically once you correct your spedo the tranny shifting will go to a fairly good setup. And I'd second the upgraded tranny. As for what chip to go with the guys at thedieselstop will have more than enough opinions there. Read the sig lines over there to see if you can find someone running similar to you, and see what they are running for a chip

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a superchips chip in an '01. it makes a world of difference and it was around 4 hundy. it is on stock tires and is used for commercial snow plowing and hauling a race car. it blew its 4r100 at around 38,000 miles. ford covered it tho. hope this helps.

ps- this truck is not babied :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK when you go to chipping a motor you need a few things besides a chip.

When you chip the motor it's just dumping more fuel in...which in turn heats up the motor faster.

If you don't already have some sort of free flow exhaust I suggest you add one, also you need a set of gauges(EGT, Boost, and Tranny Temp).

At first I installed exhaust, new intake, gauges, then a small 50hp chip. With just the 50hp chip I would see 1000* on the pyro under hard accel.

Now I have custom injectors, and a 4pos. flip chip. and I can bury a pyro gauge in no time flat.

And as others here have suggested that tranny is gonna go without some sort of upgrade in it's future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses guys. They helped alot. If there are anymore responses, I am more than willing to read them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have the bully dog 4-pos. chip and its nite and day compared to stock. Along with the shift kit I get nice firm shifts and supposedly it helps out your tranny.
Previous owner did a write-up on it here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts