Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a locker posi limited slip for a 1991 GMC jimmy same as blazer for the front diff. Im pretty sure none of them came from the factory with one. But I dont know if any after market manafacturs make one Id like to stay away from a weld or spool due to limited turning radius on trail rides. Any one have any suggestions please let me know or respond to [email protected] thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Lockright makes a lunchbox locker for the IFS s-series front. I don't suggest it though. They have enough trouble staying together with 31s and being open. Save the $300 and put it somewhere usefull.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd agree also. Save the $300 and put it into the pot for doing an SFA. Honestly it's the best money that you could spend on the S series trucks. I did mine almost 4 years ago and it was the best mod I've done so far. With my other s-10 which still had the IFS and 31's I was blowing up balljoints, tie rods...um well the whole front end, ended up selling the truck cuz of that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where can u get the lunchbox locker? I wasnt really interested in doing a SFA id like to maintain everyday driveability and im not really an extreme crawler im just an avid mabey once in a month off roader thanks guys.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You'd be surprised on how well an SFA truck drives (found that mine when it had 35"s on it drove nicer than my other truck which was stock appart from a body lift and 31"s). I know of quite a few guys that use SFA s-10s as daily drivers. Another option that you should look into is a posi lock for the front (gets rid of the vaccuum controls for the front diff and you have a cable activation, this is supposed to make the front more of a posi).
Personally I've had good experences buying parts from PORC (vendor on this board), his prices are really good and shipping was quite quick

·
Registered
317 Posts
Put a locker in the rear instead. It will probably hold up better. My S10 has the factory locker in the rear and it will go over just about anything as long as I dont high center. It helps a lot on the street too. Instead of spinning a tire it just grabs and goes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive already got factory locker a 4:11 gears in rear and a 4:11 front, havent got to run them yet i just got the rear in and not got the front yet waiting on parts to arrive. these are a upgrade from a 3:42 open rear and open front so im sure i should be really pleased with the change, like i said though i would like to get a limited slip for the front so i can have almost true 4x4 if any knows of a ifs front locker for sale just let me know

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drive my SFAed ZR2 everyday. it is 4 linked and coilovered in the front, I love the way it rides, its a little stiffer than the factrory ride, but its nothin like an older lifted chevy.....I say save your money for the SAS, mine has been done for almost a year and I havent had any problems yet...oh and the factory GM locker sucks...it will last a few wheelin trips then it wont engage when you really need it....GOVLOCS SUCK...seen the center pins come out of two of them through the cover.....

Brian

·
Registered
201 Posts
ahhhh they factory "locker", it's really just a limited slip. i also drive my SFA ZR2 everyday, it rides and handles better, and is also easier to maintain than when i had my 5" BDS lift up there. i wouldn't waist the money putting a locker in IFS, i waisted enough with my lift and that was a stupid decision

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also daily drove my SFA 92 S15 Jimmy for a year. It drove better and smoother than the IFS before the swap. As far as locking the front stock axle, I along with the others, highly recommend not waisting your money on it. I was able to break my front intermediate shaft on my stock ifs with it still being open. I only had 31's at the time and was just doing some mild offroading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts