Pirate 4x4 banner

Safari Pacific XT1 - Expedition Trailer

26K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  Badger1 
#1 · (Edited)
I've decided to build myself an off-road trailer. Mostly to move all of my gear from both of my vehicles to one tow-able package. This way I don't need to swap things back and forth. And partly to build something cool again.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
The base chassis is 2 x 4 x 0.125 rectangle tubing. I went with 4 inches tall for added strength.

Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs from Sierra Expeditions along with hardware and led tail lights.

I start by basic assembly of the suspension and axle. Then check for placement.

After I find the axle placement and distances for tire clearance I make kick-outs for carrying fuel cans.

#9 · (Edited)
Once all sections are cut and tacked into place I finish welding.

Then I move onto building the upper box. Since I didn't want to have the added expense of a one off custom sheet metal box I decided to make a frame to adhere panels too.

Off the main box I run additional tubing to connect to the kick-outs for added strength.

Trying to determine placement of the truck oval led lights. I'm thinking I need to find something else.

#11 · (Edited)
Demo of what I'm thinking. Room on the kick-outs for a 5 gallon fuel/water can or a 20 lb propane tank.

Back to suspension. I had new parts cut out to get the trailers axle where it needs to be. High wise that is.

Ruff setup to check if axle is square with chassis.

Once all aligned I weld up the parts and take the trailer outside to check hight.

#14 · (Edited)
Back inside I swap tires with the Ranger, since they are 32x10.5 tires. I wanted to check clearances and assemble the remainder of the trailer with larger tires.

I also build the tow point similar to how I build Jim's hard side pop-up trailer.

I then toss on the tent mostly for the hell of it.

Next I weld in the floor cross supports, with one beam stronger to attach shock tabs.

Time for skinning.

#15 ·
I start with the floor section and the front.

Then move onto the sides. I toss on a couple cans just because it makes for a cooler photo.

Once the main body is welded on I start on building the lid.

Then I move onto adding the skin to the lid.

I take off the tires so I can finish up welding where the tires blocked.

#16 ·

I like to over build. Good example is where the chassis tubes are split for the tongue.

With the trailer on its side I weld up all the small bits I couldn't get to from the top.

Before I flip back over and set up on jack stands I use the pallet scale to weigh in. So far what you see is 390 lbs. Not too bad.

#17 ·
In between doing the metal work I decided to start figuring out what color to paint the trailer. At the paint store I picked a color I though would look good. Turned out the name of the color was "money." The color swatch looked good at the store, though once back at the shop the color was brighter than I wanted.

So I mixed small portions with black and brown to get something I like. I call the new color "dirty money"

#18 ·
I modified the spring plate to add a bit more strength. Also painted them and the other suspension parts.

Welded on the trailer jack attachment point.

Then began to spray primer.

Next I sprayed on the green. It looks brighter in the photos, though is a more of a gray green in person. Might be the lighting.

#19 ·
I painted the everything the green color since I didn't want to mess around with masking the chassis off over welds.

After drying a for a couple days I attach the hinges lid.

On the other side I attach over center latches. They have tabs that stick out to lock with a padlock.

Next I build the rear door.

#22 ·
After the paint dried I attached the springs and axle.

Then set it down on some wheels and the jack.

Next I plasma cut a hole for the latch on the rear door.

I attach the door back on the trailer to figure out how to add a catch.

I had an old cut out from another project that worked perfectly. 3/8 inch plate.

#28 ·
The last photos posted are from January 10th, 2012. On the 13th my dad passed away and the project was put on hold. Currently the trailer is in a friends garage in Mesa, AZ as I had to vacate the shop. I'm hoping this summer I will be able to bring the trailer out to my new place in Temecula, CA and finish it. There's really not much left. Ironically I'll have to trailer the trailer since there is no plate, lights or wheels. More updates to come once I get rolling on the project again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.