Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to follow BillaVistas calculations and references on his website but its beyond me. Question I have is not only is this safe but what would be the max capacity of this? From what I know its an 18 mil rod thru the bumper with a hole in it for the Dring. The bumper is sleeved and the rod passed thru. On the back of the bumper on the head of this rod is a round plate about 2" in diameter and approx 3/16" thick. The rod is passed thru the sleeve and a circlip on the front preventing lateral movement. It swivels so that if you are pulling sideways on it, it rotates around.

Would the circlip strength be worrying as well? Especially considering shock loads, ie winch cable breaking, etc

To me it doesn't look like it would work, am I wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Personally I would be more worried about the rod in the hook. What kind of metal is it made of and what's the rating on it?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
dunno if its safe or not.... but i like it :D

get ahold of a local university mech. engineering instructor and have him have his students do a little destructive testing for you ;) we do this all the time for work.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
9V said:
American Drill Bushing sells what i feel are better units from what is pictured above. I have a pair of the 3/4" bolt 5000lb capacity ones on the front of my heavy assed rover and they work well.

here is a pic-

IIRC i think i paid about $75ea for the 5000lb rated ones direct from ADB.

http://www.americandrillbushing.com/hoistrings.html
I would rather wrap a chain around your frame rail than trust those little loops. Only rated for 5K? cmon, figure your rover weighs 4K, thats dead weight, how much do ya think the total would be frame deep in mud or wedged behind a rock? Not to mention the only thing holding that loop to the mound is a couple ears, stress it a bit, the ears flex, and pop, right out of the mount. No thanks, you can keep your $150 worth of paper weights. The first one stands a chance, depending on the rating of the bolt, over all, I'd give it a shot depending on manufacturers numbers. Maybe I'm too choosy about what I will hook to, but its kept me safe so far, so I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Grainger sells them too. BUT, you need to get the 15k pound version.

Kwranglin:

Even scarrier, the lightest Range Rover I ever saw weighed OVER 5500.

j

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
hmmm they look like a weaker version of the tow loops on the front of a military A-2 hummer. and i have a set mounted to the front of my bumper. i will get a pic when i brush off the ice.
i think they are rated at 12,000

·
Registered
183 Posts
Only rated for 5K? cmon, figure your rover weighs 4K, thats dead weight, how much do ya think the total would be frame deep in mud or wedged behind a rock? Not to mention the only thing holding that loop to the mound is a couple ears, stress it a bit, the ears flex, and pop, right out of the mount.
Nah, 9V has this one dead on. Those are swivel hoist rings rated for "lifting", not winching. That means that the 5k rating is a working load rating which is far, far less than breaking strength. Normally, there is something like a 5:1 safety rating. The rigging industry has to comply to same pretty damn rigorous standards because peoples lives really are at stake if one of those things snap. Unlike the winch industry which makes the most ridiculous , bald face Enron type lies of any industry. Check this link out:http://www.superwinch.com/support/learning/hoisting.html

Thats why almost no winch is rated for overhead lifts. If it was, they would have to disclose the actual dead weigh capacity of their products. Which you guessed it, are are lot less than the "it'll pull a 12,000 lb vehicle" claims that they make. Show me a 12,000 lb winch that actually will lift a 5000 lb dead weight. Outside of true industrial products, there isn't such a beast. And the winch damn sure won't break one of those swivel hoists.

Now the bumper, it is probably the weak link ...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
kwrangln said:

I would rather wrap a chain around your frame rail than trust those little loops. Only rated for 5K? cmon, figure your rover weighs 4K, thats dead weight, how much do ya think the total would be frame deep in mud or wedged behind a rock? Not to mention the only thing holding that loop to the mound is a couple ears, stress it a bit, the ears flex, and pop, right out of the mount. No thanks, you can keep your $150 worth of paper weights. The first one stands a chance, depending on the rating of the bolt, over all, I'd give it a shot depending on manufacturers numbers. Maybe I'm too choosy about what I will hook to, but its kept me safe so far, so I'll stick with it.
those are overhead hoist rings, did you look at the spec sheet or just BS away? they have a breaking strength of 150,000psi...

and the 5k lb rating is overhead rating, and i dont plan on winching my truck into the air any time soon.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
So they have a 5K work load rating, big deal, verticle lift conditions are well thought out and calculated operations. Rarely will you find those conditions on the trail. Going off Redrangies numbers for weight, your already over the rating for those loops, do you really think dead lifting your vehicle is going to weigh more than pulling it forward when anchored by a rock? Did you check out how angles affect the load on those lifting points? Sure there is a 5:1 safety factor, but it has a work load rating for a reason, if your regularly going in to your safety factor, then you have mis chosen your equipment
Not trying to ruffle feathers here (OK, maybe I am:flipoff2: ) but I see these as a poor choice for the application. Its your truck, your rings, and your hide, so take my opinion as just that, an opinion.

Ken

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
these are off a A-2 military hummer

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
and other than all the part#'s and military crap they say 19,000 lbs (sorry shitty pic) i think these can handle my CJ:flipoff2:
and these are used for lift and tow points

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my bumper is made of 1/4" plate, plus there is a 1/2" reinforcing plate welded right behind where the rings attach. there is a 3/4" allen bolt that goes through the right and into a tapped hole in the bumper and plate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So they have a 5K work load rating, big deal, verticle lift conditions are well thought out and calculated operations. Rarely will you find those conditions on the trail. Going off Redrangies numbers for weight, your already over the rating for those loops, do you really think dead lifting your vehicle is going to weigh more than pulling it forward when anchored by a rock? Did you check out how angles affect the load on those lifting points? Sure there is a 5:1 safety factor, but it has a work load rating for a reason, if your regularly going in to your safety factor, then you have mis chosen your
Dude, a 5:1 safety factor means that the 5,000 lb swivel has an actuall breaking strength exceeding 25,000 lbs! The working load is 5,000lbs - it is a different measurment. You are not over the rating of those swivels with a consumer winch. Go back to the link I posted and READ! http://www.superwinch.com/support/l...g/hoisting.html :rolleyes:

Rigging equipment is designed and manufactured to very high standards, much higher in fact than winching equipment (which has no standards). That is why the link tells you to take your winch load rating and reduce it by 1/5 as a starting point and then start reducing the load rating from there! That means that a 10,000 lb winch should probably not have even a 2,000 lb rating for overhead lifting using the same standard applied to the swivel hoist ! And even then the company is not going to take responsibility. Why do you think you are paying $75.00 for a fitting? It isn't for the bling bling factor! You are paying for a part that is made to take 5,000 lb dead weight loads 24/7, plus weight test that significantly exceed that rating annually.

I laugh at you guys that are calling the safety monkey bullshit and then run out and buy cast 3/4" shackles and d-rings made in China from the local hardware store. And chain too! When was the last time you actually bought a weight tested chain? You certainly didn't get one of those at most hardware stores either!

As to controlled conditions - yes, you need to control the conditions as much as possible. You should actually use two swivels, two 3/4" bow shackles, a 10' towing bridle conected between them, and a snatch block to equalize the load on both swivels. BTW, if you actually were to lift your vehicle by the frame with 5000lbs of force; do you think that your frame wouldn't bend?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
another "project" I have on the drawing boards.......... use of
lift rings for pull points on my rig.... only alot heavier........

those really large 3/4" bolt ones are expensive to to buy new,

and sort of hard to find used... (or cheap)

--they work nice though....

--Sherpa

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have been running the hoist rings for years on my 7500lb fj80 with no problem, I used to have the smaller 5500lb rated for many years with NO problem, a few years ago I went to the 7000lb rated rings, just because I had some. BTW they can be found REALLY cheap, I get mine for $12 for the big 7000lb rings, $6 for the 5000lb. I also have some REALLY big 15k rated rings. Yes they are rated 5x braking. I love these, but they do rust and bind up so I fit em with some Slip Plate to keep em rust free and moving well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Landpimp said:
I have been running the hoist rings for years on my 7500lb fj80 with no problem, I used to have the smaller 5500lb rated for many years with NO problem, a few years ago I went to the 7000lb rated rings, just because I had some. BTW they can be found REALLY cheap, I get mine for $12 for the big 7000lb rings, $6 for the 5000lb. I also have some REALLY big 15k rated rings. Yes they are rated 5x braking. I love these, but they do rust and bind up so I fit em with some Slip Plate to keep em rust free and moving well.
where did you find them for so damn cheap? i could use a few more for my other rig...

thanks

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
9V said:

where did you find them for so damn cheap? i could use a few more for my other rig...

thanks
Unless your in the Seattle WA area the info won't do you any good. But I would look for a aircraft manufacture that has public surplus sales.....hint hint ;)

$2 a pound is the going rate!

John H

1 - 20 of 27 Posts