Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen it done? I'm running a 63" front diff on my 40, with plenty of lift and 38s, (when completed) currently in the middle of a frame off build. anyone know of pro's and cons to this Idea?
thanks.
Dave.

·
Registered
550 Posts
This just seems like a complicated solution for a simple problem. Alignment of the steering shaft would be tricky, may even have to go through the frame. Also the tabs for the mounting bolts will be on the wrong side of the box to mount the box to the outside of the frame. Not to mention that the box will no longer be protected by the frame from the rocks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Actually...some chevys came with the box on the outside of the frame...my nephew ran his on the outside on his 40....he was runnin full width chevy axles...it looked like crap, but it worked fine...do it right and put it on the inside of the frame...

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Why not just go with the Scout 2 box?

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
FJ60 box mounts on the outside of the frame, and much more compact than a Saginaw box. Good write up on this conversion by Mark W in TT a few months back.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
65SWB45 said:
FJ60 box mounts on the outside of the frame, and much more compact than a Saginaw box. Good write up on this conversion by Mark W in TT a few months back.
Done both Scout and FJ60 boxes on FJ40s and would recommend the scout box. cheaper, easy to find the proper u-joint to use for the shaft, way more pitman arm options(wagonner is good for nearly flat arms and GM 1 ton TREs)

SAE fittings on hoses, and easier to tap for hydro. Plus rebuilt boxes can be had almost any good autoparts stores.

With that said, I am going with an FJ60 box on my FJ45. I like the steering feel better, and dont need the boost of the scout box for the FJ45.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the reason I asked was I have a cherry 2wd truck steering box with 57K original miles on it, that mounts outside the frame rail, and I'd like to run a fullsize winch between the frame rails up front, this would croud the steering box if it was inside wouldn't it? And yes I know the 8274 will fit, but it's too spendy and I like the lower profile winches.
I'm not familiar with the scout 2 box, is it smaller?
I have the frame plate from georg to mount my saginaw box inside, but it just looks easier to set it outside to me.
More input????
thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts