Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing a SAS and im having some trouble with my front leafs sagging alot. By the way the spring is 8" lift 52"long 2 1/4" wide. Custom springs.

When i first mounted my hangers the spring came down and the shackle angle was 15* which i was happy with. But them just from sitting there over some time they sagged and forced the shackle all the way up to touch the bracket. a 180* angle. so i moved my hangers. Then i was at a 0* angle which i thought would sag a bit so it was ok. I just got all the driveline together and drove it to test the brakes and the spring sagged more and forced the shackle to touch the bracket again. So im just pissed and i dont know if it is the leaf or what.

They are stiff leafs but are only 2 1/4" wide and are built for the rear of 73-87 trucks.

Im getting new leafs which are gonna be 6" lift and 2 1/2" wide. Do you think im going to run into the same problems or what?

Faulty leafs or too narrow or what?

·
Registered
323 Posts
first off, if they're 2-1/4" wide then they're not built for the front or rear of a 73-87 chevy truck unless someone just doesn't know what they're doing or they were designed for a chevy van because they're 2-1/4" steel (8" lift may look kind of funny on that though)....it's impossible to tell if you'll run into the same problem with new leaves because i don't know how thick of a gauge those 2-1/4" are....it sounds like those custom springs were designed off of arch and not strength which is a no no....anyways, it would help if you let us know what type of vehicle and engine size you have so we know what those springs are supposed to hold up....also measure the total pack thickness so i know what gauge is being used

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a pic of the leafs ill measure the total pack thickness tomorrow. I just got them for cheap so i thought i would try but these arnt gonna work. Im just wondering if this is going to happen when i get some 2 1/2" wide leafs. Im working on a 90 1500 with a 350 tbi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts