Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing hydro assist in a couple weeks. I would like some info on the advantages of using the saginaw box over the toyota box, and if the saginaw box is even needed if you use a saginaw pump with the toyota gearbox.

Also, I would like some pics with a saginaw gearbox which would keep the drag link in stock location, in other words, not moved forward.

One advantage I have for going saginaw box, is I believe I can put my A/C compressor in stock location.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The factory A/C location is the only advantage I can think of. I like the Toyota box over the Saginaw, especially when it comes to tapping it for the hydro assist. It's WAY easier to deal with than a Saginaw.

Plus, if I were you I'd take the lazy way and keep the setup you have now. (I'm lazy that way) :)

Wait....you have a saginaw pump now? Maybe your setup has changed since I last saw it? Makes no real difference to the assist, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have saginaw pump? I was just wondering if that would improve assist.

I want a 1 1/2 - 2 " bore ram. I have seen even 1" rams with the toyota setup, they are slow to respond. I want rally response.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
SuperRunner said:
No, I don't have saginaw pump? I was just wondering if that would improve assist.

I want a 1 1/2 - 2 " bore ram. I have seen even 1" rams with the toyota setup, they are slow to respond. I want rally response.

I thought that a larger bore would result in a slower turning response? Maybe I'm all turned around. :confused:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
liveaxle said:

I thought that a larger bore would result in a slower turning response? Maybe I'm all turned around. :confused:
I guess I said that all kind of backwards, but yes, you are right, a larger bore will result in a slower response, but you will have much better leverage. I want good leverage, with good speed. I have heard that with a 1 inch bore with a toyota shaft, the response time isn't the best. This will not work for me. I will end up in a ditch some where, and I would like something with more leverage than a 1". I may be asking too much here.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You might be asking too much. :D

The rams we sell are 1.5" bore, and on a typical Toy setup it will be a little bit slow--just like Von's is. Of course, you can modify the pump for a bit more flow, but I'm not certain how much improvement that will give, since I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Lean said:
You might be asking too much. :D

The rams we sell are 1.5" bore, and on a typical Toy setup it will be a little bit slow--just like Von's is. Of course, you can modify the pump for a bit more flow, but I'm not certain how much improvement that will give, since I haven't tried that yet.
So what if I use the 1.5" bore, can I use the saginaw pump and it will respond better? I can't have it slow, I will die!!!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I *think* the sag pump might flow more than the Toy one--can't say for sure, since I've never done any side-by-side comparisons. You can definitely modify either pump to flow better.

Did you ever drive Von's truck? It might be a good "sample" for you, since it's using a stock Toy pump, Toy box, and 1.5" ram.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
SuperRunner said:

So what if I use the 1.5" bore, can I use the saginaw pump and it will respond better? I can't have it slow, I will die!!!!
smaller bore gets faster reaction but if you are looking to rally race steering with Hydro it just won't work that way....apples & oranges ya know....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Lean said:
I *think* the sag pump might flow more than the Toy one--can't say for sure, since I've never done any side-by-side comparisons. You can definitely modify either pump to flow better.

Did you ever drive Von's truck? It might be a good "sample" for you, since it's using a stock Toy pump, Toy box, and 1.5" ram.
No, never tried von's truck. Did he modify the steering box to flow a little more to where you tap for the hydraulic line?

I am using a 3/4" ram, and it is soooooooooooo slow to respond. I have to take corners really slow, or I lose steering. I could not image if I used a 1.5" ram.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts