Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, i'm on the process to convert my steering to full hydro and i'm looking for some info about the Saginaw P pump i have on my Jeep, it's a 7830247 cast number, according of what i found on the web it should be a light duty application for dodge 2500 trucks, i don't know how much a 2500 dodge could be light duty ...anyway, the pump was meant to work submersed (was in the reservoir) and i'm wondering if it can work without the reservoir doing some modification that would be to drill and tap the larger orifice marked with the black arrow wich i believe is the feeding one and maybe to clog the small one marked with the red arrow?

image share

i have no idea about its purpose so i'm definately open to tips, that being said i'm not even sure if this submerses pump would work without resevoir ,however i believe that those are intende to be used without that have just a metal cover that simply surrounds the pump body.

My idea is to use a bigger external reservoir for the ATF, i'd like to keep the stock pump for many reason but i'd like to know if that will perform fairly good and last for a quite while with the full hydro application, i found great info on the Billavista article but didn't see specs related to the casting 7830247.

I've seen about modifications for better flow to do like drilling a 5.2mm hole in the fittings and use a different spring to achieve higher pressure.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
There is at least one or two pics of P pumps modified for use of an external reservoir in the link Mr.N provided. Although they look to have sealed up the stock inlet (black arrow) and added a fitting on the other side of the pump.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm just realizing that to drill and the feeding hole is going to be ugly, there's no room enaugh because of the casting rib, it's very close to the hole, i would probably have to make a custom tapered hose barb and grind out the rib a little...not sure it's gonna work then will the internal diameter of the hose barb big enaugh to feed the pump? maybe i need to do this on both sides and make an "y"... any suggestion?

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts