Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know which vehicles had 4 turn, 4 bolt saginaw steering boxes? I've seen them referred to by the casting numbers "76" It is to be used in a power steering conversion. Thanks

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: spinedoc ]

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
if i remember correctly, you cant really trust that "76" casting, you have to turn the wheel to find out how many turns it really is..i could be wrong and probably am, but i think i remember this for some reason

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Those numbers are still just casting numbers. You must still count the turns from lock to lock. I got my 4.25 turn box from a 68 Impala. Look for late 60s GM cars (big boats).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric,
I got mine out of a late 60's vehicle as well. The problem I have is that the seals are leaking and unfortunately the local parts remanufacturers only identifies auto parts by year and manufacturer. So I was not able to get any replacement, parts, or remanufactured box until I came up with the year and model of a vehicle. They also said their stocks don't go back that early so i was hoping to come up with some late model vehicles.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I will be running into the same problem when it comes time to fix my steering box as well. Mine just started leaking out of the input shaft.

Contact LakeRat and see what he says. He rebuilds boxes so I am sure he will know what the part numbers are that you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts