Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone has some experiencie in the conversion of the front and rear salisbury's to dana 60?

What I need??

Thanks!!
Miquel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend bought a front salisbury to put it in his RR and there is another available. And I'm thinking to buy it. But first of all I want to know if it's easy or not to convert to D60

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
The salisburys have 24 spline axles most of the 60s have 30 spline. In my opinion, on the front axle, the 60 king pin set up is a fair bit stronger than the salisbury swivel set up. I run a front salisbury under my 109 and keep breaking the damn thing. mostly swivel stuff and CV joints.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
The salisburys have 24 spline axles most of the 60s have 30 spline. In my opinion, on the front axle, the 60 king pin set up is a fair bit stronger than the salisbury swivel set up. I run a front salisbury under my 109 and keep breaking the damn thing. mostly swivel stuff and CV joints.
In spite of that, I still want a real front salisbury for my Rangie. That and you're just a freak :flipoff2:

Might not look like much but sure goes where I want it to.

Can't imagine a Salisbury being weaker.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In spite of that, I still want a real front salisbury for my Rangie. That and you're just a freak :flipoff2:

Might not look like much but sure goes where I want it to.

Can't imagine a Salisbury being weaker.

Well I can't deny that I may be a bit of a freak. I suppose if I actually adjusted my steering stops it may reduce my breakage but then I'd have to do 13 point turns instead of my usual 11 point turns.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The diff is, more or less. But the rest of it is not much stronger than standard LR junk. In fact the AU cvs in early 110 are stronger than sals front joints.
Cough!!!!!
In plainer English... Don't fucking bother. Front sals are wank. Weaker than early 110 shafts and cvs and have a stupidly big pumpkin robbing you of clearance. I cannot think of any reason - other than rivet counting originality - why anyone would have one up front.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cough!!!!!
In plainer English... Don't fucking bother. Front sals are wank. Weaker than early 110 shafts and cvs and have a stupidly big pumpkin robbing you of clearance. I cannot think of any reason - other than rivet counting originality - why anyone would have one up front.

to convert it to D60!! is the only reason!

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Think about it this way, you get the weight and ground clearance of the D60 and the strenth of a rover axle. Worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I threw one under the rear of my 90 because it was 200 bucks and came with good brakes and a new ball joint (cheaper than fixing my stock axle) but as soon as I can afford it I am getting a Rovertracks setup up front. Its not worth the ground clearance.

·
Registered
551 Posts
CV joints are different (bigger/stronger) on a Salisbury front, the ones listed in the parts book for em are different, and about £500 each, as opposed to £60 odd for a Rover one.

Physical difference side by side also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
CV joints are different (bigger/stronger) on a Salisbury front, the ones listed in the parts book for em are different, and about £500 each, as opposed to £60 odd for a Rover one.

Physical difference side by side also.
My Series Salisbury came with the AEU1828 CV joints, same as the Stage1 V8 trucks used. Physical dimensions are essentially the same as the AEU2522 except the splined shaft is a little longer on the AEU1828.

I'm told that the AEU2522 CVs are the ones that were used on the early 110s

1 - 20 of 29 Posts