Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sami for 350$ *PICS*

Hey all, just bought an 87 for the price listed. It belonged to a buddy of mine that was working on it as a project rig. It's complete and fired right up when I was at his house. Problem is, the gas was 5 months old, and BAD! I drained the tank, and added fresh, used some carb cleaner to try and un-gum it out. Now it won't fire at all. The 1.3 has 105,000 original miles. Only thing I don't like is it's a California version, so it's got smog galore on it. Ultimate plan is SPOA and tubed back half for now, on some 34" swampers. Hoping to keep the budget under 800$, minus the cost of new swampers. Anyways, anybody got any hints on what to do to get this bitch on the road? Thanks!
Allan

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
get it to run on ether - then do a backwoods tune up. Get it revvin' high, and cover the intake, so it puts massive vacuum on the carb - sucks the sh*t out of it.

·
Earl Dibbles Jr.
3,676 Posts
disconect the fuel lines in the front and rear and get the lines cleaned out. Then rebuild the carb and you probably be ok then. oh and the common-sense things like fuel filter, plugs, cap and rotor.

good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
cover the carbw hile your revving it?

i just bought a sami and it was sitting for 3 years

it smokes blue now. what should i use to untick the rings?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I gotta wait until my buddy get's off shift to do the ether trick, won't be until tomorrow. I just put the soft-top on, it's an almost new bestop that looks pretty good. The previous owner had begun to hack out the wheel-wells/inner fenders for clearance on 31's with no lift. The rear wheel-wells are gone, so I'm gonna hack the body off at the back of the half cab, and cage/tube it all out. Got some generic 31 MT's to run for now. Gotta love college-wheelin! Thanks again, any other suggestions?
Allan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've been working on the Zuk more. Here's the deal: I'm not getting gas to the carb. I percieved this as one of two things. Either the system isn't primed because I drained ALL of the gas, or the lines are clogged. So went to plan B: ether. Nothing happened. Plan C: pour gas in the carb. Nothing happened. Checked spark, got it at the coil. Gonna check the plugs shortly. This sucks, cause two night ago it ran great. It had sat for half a year, and fired up after cranking for like 10 seconds. No knocks, no ticks. I can't figure this crap out. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!
Allan

·
Registered
140 Posts
I personaly don't like to use ether unless I have to! I just use a small propane torch(don't light it)in the air cleaner inlet or on the top of the carb, that should make it idle just fine while you look for your problem from the carb back to the tank, sea foam might work good for un cloging things and should help with the rings also,I would also drop out the cat if you have one on it and at the same time change your down pipe out of the cast manifold to the spot where the cat was!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got it running and ran around the block. Definately got some fuel delivery issues. Timing was way off. Couple of questions. Anyone know where the fuel filter is? And anyone know the factory gap for the plugs, as well as timing specs? Gonna do a full tune-up and LOF tomorrow, as well as change the fuel filter/clear the lines. We'll see where she stands from there. Then on to the SPOA! Thanks for any help!
Allan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran it around the block a couple times today. For the most part it's running ok. The carb needs a rebuild and a good tune...but no worries. The buildup begins in two weeks. Pics will start then...
Allan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright...made good progress in the shop yesterday. Got pics if someone will host em for me. Spring-over is done minus brakelines. Back half of body is done. Booty-fabbed steering is done. Now comes the tube!
Allan

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey RT, I have problems with water getting in the tank,the first place the water goes is straight to the low idle jet,wont run at all.a bottle of heat[alcohol]in the gas tank and it starts up after not to much cranking.for $2.25 its worth a try

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully Zukstein posts these pics up...I sent them off. All the tubework has been decided on and begins on Wednesday! Can't wait to get this thing even 3/4 done some I can wheel it a little!
Allan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zukstein...you are the man! Thanks for the pic posting. Pics kind of say it all. Tore the axles out, welded new perches on, threw the axles back in. Shock mounts will be relocated as soon as I get the new ones, brake lines will be here this week. Tube work begins on Wednesday. Will get pics when that comes along. In the last pic, you can see that the back half of the body is no longer there. Thanks again!
Allan

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lookin' good Allan! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts