Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will confess i know almost nothing about sammi's or chevy trackers, i have a chance to buy a 99 chevy tracker two door convertible with 90 k on it for cheap, (has a small dent in pass side) which is fine as i plan on building it into a street legal wheeler.
i guess my question is this, why do all the parts sites i find list stuff for up to 98? was there a major change in the overall rig at that point? is this 99 worthy of lifting and wheeling or not? is the drivetrain completely different?
i just thought it might be a fun project for the long winter months here in the northeast.
thanks in advance for any advice.
dave

·
Registered
708 Posts
We own two older trackers........(89-98 model year)

All Trackers are IFS (independant front susp.)

It all depends on the extent of difficulty in trails you plan to run.

The most cost effective Suzuki to build is indeed the Sammi. (Already has a solid axle set-up, easy to swap larger axles underneath with little effort)

Depending on how deep your pockets are, a Solid axle conversion would be

the way to go with the tracker............

We lifted our old Grand Vitara with 31's , it was more of a grocery getter.

Trackers can be great fun with IFS and a 4-6" lift. (We ran 31's on IFS, 33's on a Sammi solid axle swap, and now 36's on a toyota swap, soon a buddy with 40's will be our next endeavor).....

All depends on what you want to do with it............ :)

Good luck.........

(Here are a few sites for reading: http://www.rocky-road.com/kickome.html

http://www.puresuzuki.com/grand_vitara2.htm )

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
98 was the last year of that body style. 99 and up the frames and all changed. Most parts are made for the 98 and older as of now.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the responses,
i should add that i am not new to the world of off roading and fabbing , any work is not an issue.
i was just curious if the drivetrains changed too?
i think i am going to go with 31"-32" tires , it will be more of a novelty ride, a few mild trails, i have a built heep on 35's for the serious stuff.

and what is the best way to achieve 4"-6" of lift with IFS?
i know i would have to drop the front center down, longer shocks and springs and arms in the rear?
thanks,
dave

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Most people get the Calmini 3" suspension kit $$$, and a three inch body lift to get 6 inches of lift. Then you can clear 32's. There is a solid axle swap kit from trail tough that uses coils on all four corners and Toyota axles. I know two people with this set up it is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
re:

I've had both the samurai and the tracker and in stock form they are pretty close to the same as for offroading. As far as I think. The tracker has some stuff the hangs lower than the samurai but with a good driver they are both very capable rigs. Driving one in stock form is fun because the smallest obsticle is hard.

I've never lifted a tracker so I wont go there but I've built more than one samurai and other than having no power they are easy to build and you'll still have money left in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My first on is a 98 2 door, 5 speed I picked up and threw together to play with I put on a 2" BL, and OME 2" springs, and welded the rear with some all terrains. Let me tell you It gave me a whole new respect for IFS vehicles. This thing was amazing. I have since caught the bug and have done alot more than that to it. My goal is a 98 4 door with my toy axles. Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts