Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear full widths. 38'5x16x15 tsl, nissan Z22 motor and trans,power steering,4-links rear streched 12" TJ coils in rear, YJ leaves in front, Black magic E-fan, oversized radiator

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
that's not a 4 link, those are radius arms. how are they attached to the axle? it looks like heims, in which case I predict you will quickly be tearing some mounts off the housing because of the inherent bind in radius arms. Radius arms also do a very poor job of handling lateral movement.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you are saying.. thanks for the info..But i have not had any problems out of this setup..the trac bar keeps everything running straight, and its all over built. its built alot like a RE setup on the front of jeeps. links and track bar i built are a semi idea of the RE lift.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
okay, I didn't see the panhard (trackbar), that takes care of the lateral forces issue.

however you WILL break something with radius arms using heims. front long arm setups like the RE one use rubber bushings at multiple connections. I know several people with those setups on the front of XJs and they have to replace their rubber bushings once a year. If it chews up rubber that bad, imagine what it's doing to your rigid mounts. :nuke:

·
Registered
564 Posts
that cage isnt done is it?

cos i wounldnt want to be sitting in it when it rolls looks like the seats sit futher out then the cage :eek:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Very typical of this place :shaking: Not one single nice thing to say :rolleyes:

Man, GREAT START!! Looks like you have done a lot of work and I think it is pretty darn cool. Do you have any better pics of the suspension or a side shot? Would be nice to see how far it is stretched. Keep the pics coming!!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
BrettM said:
okay, I didn't see the panhard (trackbar), that takes care of the lateral forces issue.

however you WILL break something with radius arms using heims. front long arm setups like the RE one use rubber bushings at multiple connections. I know several people with those setups on the front of XJs and they have to replace their rubber bushings once a year. If it chews up rubber that bad, imagine what it's doing to your rigid mounts. :nuke:
I beg to differ, I used to run a Bronco with stock radius arms, boxed, lengthed 12" with 1" heims with D60's and 40's and never had any problems. And it would have been difficult to abuse it any more than what I did. Granted radius arms aren't the best setup for all out flex, but they are tried and true and do well, the same could be said of leaf springs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looking good So far, however I would also like to see some more suspension shots, to be able to give you some constructive crit.

How do you like the TJ Coils? Do they stretch enough for you? Are they too soft, stiff?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Yes, but stock Ford radius arms have a big bushing at the axle, that's where i'm talking about!

a heim at the frame end is fine, maybe even ideal. but to use heims for all the connections to the axle and between the upper and lower arms WILL TEAR STUFF UP :nuke:

·
Registered
172 Posts
that is sweet! i love the way the front is designed. that is the radiator isnt it? i would love to see a front end design with a grill built like that! looks cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts