Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shacle mouted on the crossmamber end. Has anyone got any thoughts on how mounting the shackle pointing up will affect the dynamics of how this bar works ?? Trying to keep from mounting it with the shackle pointing down because raising the crossmember higher in the jeep will interfere with the driveshaft..And pointing down becomes a plow that will hang below the jeep.

HELP !!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mounting the t-bar with the shackle down won't stop any axle/spring wrap except when the bolts of the shackle are perfectly balanced on the centers of each other but as soon as you apply throttle you will lose this balance and wrap your rear end.
Mounting the shackle up means that in order for the rear end to wrap it would have to stretch the distance between bolts in your shackle or your shackle or mount would have to break.
Those welds are terrible, I'm no expert but I weld a helluva lot better than that.

Hope this helps
John

Edit: Don't buy a traction bar just build one mine took about two hours and cost me less than $50.

·
Registered
823 Posts
i was going to fab one, but ended up getting a MORE one for christmas. kinda glad i did too, because its REALLY quality work. it came with greasable bushings and a johnny joint on the shackle end

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking. mounting it with shackle up makes more sense than anything else . h8monday.... nice welds....:D .. I thought the same thing about the cheesy welds on the crossmember, then it occured to me this is not his sheet.. This must be a customer that may have sent him a pic for his website ( trying to be positive ) Maybe the guy just got a welder and is trying to learn how to use it in all the wrong places. The bar is really nice, a few of my buddies have used it a a pattern.. it has greasable bushings in the rear, and johnny joint in the front too..

Oh, and thanks for not flaming me for asking a repetitive question. I did run a search and read enough to understand a little better on what I was doing. A lot of theory and c.a.d. work floating around it these pages...:D

So am I also correct in my understanding that the bar should run pretty much vertically with the drive shaft, Correct ?? At least at the same angle ??

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think that is the one mounted on the Ultimate A1 from Petersons 4 Wheel and Off-road. I think that was just the tac job while they got it worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The booger welds on Sam's site were not made by the same person that makes their traction bars.

The shackle can be mounted above or below the bar. If its above, it reduces ground clearance. Mounting the shackle below the bar cures that, but can introduce rear end lift on acceleration.

Regardless, you want the shackle at a 90 degree angle to bar (draw imaginary line between the center of axle and pivot point on bar).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Heep-II said:
h8monday.... nice welds....:D

Hahaha,
Thats why I wasnt saying anything bad about the other crappy welds ( people in glass houses shouldnt throw rocks).

But dont you worry your little head about my welds, I have never had one of my mods come apart, even as hard as I am on my equiptment.
My welds are a lot like myself, built for strength not looks.

Oh yeah:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
H8monday said:
My welds are a lot like myself, built for strength not looks.
Classic:D I think that goes for most of us here!;)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I will take pictures of my wrap bar tonight,

The shackle is mounted up and I am almost flat with the top bar, I experence no rear lift on throttle and I have had people watch my rear springs when climbing on hard throttle and they cant detect any wrap nor can I feel it.

Steve

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.