Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 949 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been building this pile for awhile, figured i'd throw up a build thread. I'll try to keep all the pictures in order since this started back in February...

A little history - Had a mildly built samurai that ended up going to a cut up, 100" wb yota axled crawler. It did good for what it was, but it left me wanting a more capable rig. So i gathered some tools and went to work.

This was my first time bending tube, notching, mig welding with gas, and using a plasma cutter. Prior to that, all i had was the all mighty flux core 110, and a 4.5'' grinder.

The goal was-
Sami 1.3/trans/6.5 case
Linked
Decent wheel base
Low COG
Tires of some sort, round preferably
ON THE CHEAP

Game on....

Heres the start


Ordered a china plasma cutter


Started on the front lower links


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Started the t case cradle



Mooorrreeee



More bracing





Tear down for some welding



Starting to come together, also scored some 39s



Change of plans at this point. I decided i was going full hydro, and didnt want the 3 link. Hacked shit off and donkey punched a 4 link in.





Redid the chick with dick mount



Quick case rebuild

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so shitty picture... but its the only one i have with the body on it. It didnt stay long.



I said fuck the body and decided to go all tube. If i would have known this from the start, i would've started from scratch. Building around the sami frame has been a pain in the dick.



Some more tube







Built a work bench for 50 bucks..



More tube shit





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Then the plasma switch roached itself, but it still works. :laughing:



Doing some slider work



Out side shot, sittin at about ride hight





Then another change of plans. Ditched the rear 3 link, for a 4 link. That means shits gotta go, and more tube needs to go in





Started some shock hoops





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,020 Posts
Very cool build .

I always enjoy checking out "the first BIG build" for people.

The enthusiasm and ingenuity always make them fun...



One comment I would have is regarding your rear shock experience.

I am known in my circle of "main man spoons" :)laughing::laughing::laughing:) for being "anal" (no pun) to cycle the suspension over and over , mocking up and dismantling and cycling again before finalizing it.

I think you see from your experience this is a good idea.


Point B here:

Looking at your rear suspension :

1. Good call on the 4 link.
2. I would consider outboarding your upper rear shock mounts.
The way they are now and especially that they are airshocks you're gonna hate how sloppy it's gonna feel. As a bonus if they were outboarded more up there it is conceivable your "rear shock solution" may even not have been needed.


PS.

That last pic got me all impressed and I was like : Damn, that's a transformation and a half... then I read the caption... LOL!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Looks good dude! Wish I had that much wheelbase. X2 on outboarding the upper shock mounts, it'll help as previously mentioned..... 10 steps forward, 2 steps back. Pretty standard practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
Thanks for posting this...just what I needed in the middle of trying to decide what I'm doing with my rig now. Keep it up...and keep this thread alive!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good dude! Wish I had that much wheelbase. X2 on outboarding the upper shock mounts, it'll help as previously mentioned..... 10 steps forward, 2 steps back. Pretty standard practice.
As for the shock placement, it can't go out up top, unless I cut more section of tube out of the main belt line. Not to say I won't do it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for posting this...just what I needed in the middle of trying to decide what I'm doing with my rig now. Keep it up...and keep this thread alive!
Your sami is bad ass, I used quite a bit of ideas from you when my sami was on yota leaf springs using the offset pin for wheel base.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what I did for steering. I have a used orbital, going to a single ended tsc 6" ram, using a run of the mill Saginaw ham can pump. I used stock arms with the tie rod on top of them. Traditional high steer arms were too high and would take up some up travel.



Tie rod mount



Axle side mount



For brakes I used a non power, twin master cylinder set up. I can adjust my front and rear pressure individually. 300zx front lines, and a mixture of hard/soft lines for the rear.

I braced the pedal to the main shock hoop for peace of mind.



Rear brake set up





The wiring harness could not get any more bare bones. Just the essentials here. Batter kill, ignition, fan, and lights. I hard wired the alternator for charging. With the battery cutoff switch, there's no parasitic drain.



With everything in its place to make it drivable, I had to do it. This was the first time under its own power.

 
1 - 20 of 949 Posts
Top