Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Been trying to figure out whats best, and I am at the point where if I could get some feedback from people running coil overs, it would help a lot.

Im gonna run 14" 2.0 dual rate coilovers front and back on my Samurai. Mostly for crawling, but hit the dunes a bit and need something to soak up decent hits. I am running a full bodied Samurai, specs in the sig, but will have a 1.9TDI diesel in it.

What spring rates would you guys recommend for this sort of setup?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
What kind of bumpers, cage,tires size, etc, extra weight? Pictures? Asking because I'm already running a similar set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing too much, 35 pitbull rockers will be on it, Toyota axles, 3 link front, 4 link rear, tire carrier on rear, eventually winch on front, has 6pt cage, 1.9TDI diesel. Here are some pics.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Good start would be 14" 175lbs top, 14" 225lbs on bottom. However, be ready to change a few times till it's right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty close to what I was thinking. 250 under 200 front and 150 under 100 on rear.

You running a diesel as well?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I know I am a toyota guy and all. But I typically set guys with a 150/250. I guess you'd be closer to a 150/200.

On a 150/250 you would have to be 940 lbs per corner to compress the springs 10"s total. Most toyotas are 750. Diesel or not a 200/250 is an 110 lb rate. Go lighter. You may even need a 150/175.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I'm running 100/150 on my rear coilovers and I compress them 2" with no pre-load. I'm going to 80/100 on my rear with hopefully 2" pre load. I want it soft, I only crawl with it. The only weight you have on me is the spare, I dont have one. So I'm with above ^ 80/125 out back or if you carry alot of gear 80/150.

Not sure on front, I'm running 150 coils about to switch to coilovers. I'll probably try 150/150 on front first but only because I have the coils.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I know I am a toyota guy and all. But I typically set guys with a 150/250. I guess you'd be closer to a 150/200.

On a 150/250 you would have to be 940 lbs per corner to compress the springs 10"s total. Most toyotas are 750. Diesel or not a 200/250 is an 110 lb rate. Go lighter. You may even need a 150/175.
I'm with him, that sounds way too stiff. I have rancho on my front, but it doesn't have anything written on them. Air shocks on the rear, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm with him, that sounds way too stiff. I have rancho on my front, but it doesn't have anything written on them. Air shocks on the rear, so I can't help you there.
I actually ordered air shocks for the rear. I think maybe I'll try the 175/225

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I'm running 100/150 on my rear coilovers and I compress them 2" with no pre-load. I'm going to 80/100 on my rear with hopefully 2" pre load. I want it soft, I only crawl with it. The only weight you have on me is the spare, I dont have one. So I'm with above ^ 80/125 out back or if you carry alot of gear 80/150.

Not sure on front, I'm running 150 coils about to switch to coilovers. I'll probably try 150/150 on front first but only because I have the coils.
If that's the case then something like a 80/85 may even be what you need.

If you have a 100/150 then you're a 60lb rate. if you only have two inches of compression on the springs then you're 120lbs per corner. Which doesn't sound right. But they are light vehicles. A 80/85 is a 41lb rate. So at 120 per corner you would get 3"s of compression.

Am I understanding the comment correctly?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if I mentioned before, but I will most be doing crawling, but I will be in the dunes soaking up some decent hits too once in awhile.

150/150 sounds awefully soft, but you did say you're strictly crawling...

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
But you can set up the springs to get the ride height you need and valve the shocks to handle big hits and jumps. Coilovers with out valving totally suck balls. Trying to tune your ride by only changing spring rates never nets you the result you want. At one point many years ago I had over 2K in springs trying to do just that. It never worked. Poly Performance used to know my number so well that when I'd call they would ask which springs I wanted before I could even say Hi.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats valving usually run? I was gonna order Kings from Filthy motorsports and they said they custom valve each shock that goes out, but I got a good deal on Sway-a-ways, so who knows what they are set at.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally getting around to working on this project. Been out of town for so long, decided to take the next 2 weeks off of work and get some shit done.

I ended up ordering 150/250 springs to get started. Been pulling things apart all morning and getting an idea of what I am getting into.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
/\I'd say! Way stiff.

Just to give you another example: I'm running 150/200 on a 5000lb rig (tons/LS/full cage/glass/power accessories full size 37 spare and stuff, amp, sub...).

Starting your Sami off with rates heavier than even that is outrageous. I would guess that with the preload set up right you'd need rates that are closer to some of the lighter ones mentioned above. But if you're worried about going this low from the start at least begin with 150/100s... or a bit lower. Hope you can still change your order...:laughing:
(what lenght's did you order, BTW?)

But the real way to find out is this: The math never lies. That's why the right thing to actually do is to educate yourself. Find the thread that Sleepsontoilet mentioned earlier and find out your actual weight. (at least F-R distribution). Then pick your springs based on the calculator and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts