Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am planning on going with a FJ60 PS box with a Toyota Cressida PS pump. BEFORE I decided to go with this set up I accumulated a lot of PS parts so I'm doing a comparison of sorts on each one if anyone cares to know more about one of these boxes or pumps here it is.

Toyota IFS 4x4 PU pump:
Weight: 8lb. 8oz.
Size: 3"x 5" (aprox.)
Connection: metric flare & 5/8" ID hose
Pulley: V-belt steel stamped 5-1/4" O.D.
Shaft size: .462"
Mounting: non adjustable body of pump bolt holes
Vacuum type high idle switch

Toyota Cressida pump:
Weight: 9lb 8oz.
Size: 3-1/4" x 3-3/4" (aprox.)
Connection: metric flare & 5/8" ID hose
Pulley: flat belt steel billet machined
Shaft size: .462"
Mounting: adjustable swing mount

Suzuki Tracker/Sidekick pump:
Weight: 3lb. 3oz. :eek:
Size: 3-1/4" x 3" (aprox.)
Connection: Metric Banjo bolt & 5/8" ID hose
Pulley: flat belt aluminum billet machined
Shaft size: .652"
Mounting: adjustable swing type mount
Electric grounding type high idle switch

Still need to get info on PS boxes & a Toyota 2wd PU pump;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can send me a metric to NPT american adapter to plug the hole it's yours;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhhhhh!!! So you were gonna take the pressure switch from MY power steering pump & SACRIFICE it to build a adapter for you to use an American part on your SUZUKI!!:mad:
LOL:laughing:

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Wyld Bill said:

Toyota Cressida pump:

Pulley: flat belt steel billet machined

:confused: I'm *never* gonna understand what the hell is going on with pumps and steering boxes.:(

Both of my Celica pumps from the wreckers had Vee belt pulleys, and remote reservoirs.

The pump I got from a Supra (the source of my Steering box) had a flat belt pulley and an integral reservoir.

The THREE reconditioned pumps I tried from Parts Stores were ALL different from each other, and did not have even a remotely similar bolt pattern to the junk yard pumps. All of them claimed to be for Cressida/Corona/Celica applications of the years I wanted.

Two had fittings for integral reservoirs, and one did not.

I have NEVER seen any with those weird "high idle" vacuum switches!!:eek:

I don't even know what the hell they do fer chrisakes. Is it some America Only thing maybe?

Bizarre.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I dunno that's strange. I know that the PS kits though Petroworks & Rocky ROad Outfitters use a Cressida/Celica pump with a V-belt pulley:confused:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Re: Re: Samurai Power steering options....a study of sorts

UZI 9mm said:

:confused: I'm *never* gonna understand what the hell is going on with pumps and steering boxes.:(

Both of my Celica pumps from the wreckers had Vee belt pulleys, and remote reservoirs.

The pump I got from a Supra (the source of my Steering box) had a flat belt pulley and an integral reservoir.

The THREE reconditioned pumps I tried from Parts Stores were ALL different from each other, and did not have even a remotely similar bolt pattern to the junk yard pumps. All of them claimed to be for Cressida/Corona/Celica applications of the years I wanted.

Two had fittings for integral reservoirs, and one did not.

I have NEVER seen any with those weird "high idle" vacuum switches!!:eek:

I don't even know what the hell they do fer chrisakes. Is it some America Only thing maybe?

Bizarre.
Toyoda (yes ToyoDa) Power steering parts are funky like that. It all had to do with options/rack and pinion steering/ and year. In my searches there is no real reason for the different pumps in some cars:confused: sometimes it feels like it's what's ever in the bin at the time. Petroworks power steering (w/AC) use's a different type celica pump (I'm swaping brackets for OBA). It has it's high pressure port on the side insead of the back. Guess what? I was checking the oil in my 84 Toyota (4X4) and guess what it has for a pump? yup it "looks" to be the pump I need for the Petroworks brackets:confused: I bet it's the same dam pump!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Wyld Bill said:
Ohhhhhhh!!! So you were gonna take the pressure switch from MY power steering pump & SACRIFICE it to build a adapter for you to use an American part on your SUZUKI!!:mad:
LOL:laughing:
I'm confused, I just want to pug the port in my pump.

Yes I'm that lazy:flipoff2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
everytime power steering comes it , it seems really complicated . Lotsa choices this swaps to that etc. Could the power steering gurus jump in and give some basic step by step options on getting power steering into a Zuk. What is involved from scouring the boneyards to having your wheels turn easy. What is the setup that requires the least mods.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Kinda making me wish I took a photo of the PS pump I'm using when I had the blasted thing apart..

2wd Toy pickup, about 1985; Ok, here's one mounted on the engine.

Note that it's a Vbelt, remote res, and has no funky vacum controls on it...

And the power steering hoses bolted right up to the IFS steering box.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the v-belt pulley on the PU ones will work just fine. Just make sure the pulley is in good shape since they are just stamped out steel & get bent up easily.;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scwafish said:
Back when I had a Celica pump. I was using a Petroworks serpentine pulley, homebrew bracket.
LOL! My Toyota Cressida pump looks NOTHING like your Toyota celica pump that's funny.:)

What are you doing with that stock FJ60 pitman arm?????? Can I have it??:D

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The high idle vac switch is only on fuel injected models I have the IFS 4x4 and cut the top of the switch off and welded the hole in the top of threaded portion that was left, from some of what I found out the 2wd Toy truck pump came with 1100 psi and the IFS 4x4 pump was 900. that is what I have and no prob. with overheating and it turns in the rocks with no prob. That is it turns like a normal P/S vehicle Im still going assist for the big rocks

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
BigFrank said:
Is this the part you cut off and plug up?

yep thats it wasnt sure what to do with at first cuase it hit the stock manifold, while trying to adjust. Then when Fatkid did his he cut his off and welded it close so I just followed his lead.
heres a shot of mine done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts