Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I hear the fuel pump kicking on, and tested the line...it's gett'n it!

I checked spark...it's gett'n it!

I can't figure it out. It turns over, sounds like it wants to fire...but nothing...just wearing the optima down!

I was wondering if anybody has a code finder in the area that I could borrow to trouble shoot this thing? I wanted to get it rolling this weekend, but failed!

Come on, show me the love!

1996 Vortec 5.7L 350. New fuel pump, and new strainer...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can borrow my Harrison reader, but it is in central Orange County. It does real time monitoring of all parameters too. Plugs into the serial port of your lap top.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
where are you in orange I am in san clemente...............if ryan you want me to go between ..................I will do it...............ltr

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pat, that would be super cool. What programs do I need to do it? My wife has a laptop, I think she will let me use it. I want to try and get this thing figured out ASAP if possible. Thanks for all your help guys!

Pat here is a picture I took with the 42's on just after you left...notice the sheet is still over the motor...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And one from the drivers side...

I am still thinking 38.5 SX's might be best for me???

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
YOUR PM BOX IS FULL......

WHAT WIDTH ARE YOUR AXLES?
WHAT WIDTH AND BS ARE YOUR WHEELS?

THNX RYAN

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
A code scanner will not help you fix your truck. If its a Vortec motor there is a 90% chance that your injectors have given up working. Got fuel pressure, got spark, no run= injector problem. Go buy some new ones.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
What' sthe best source for the injectors

Ironically my wife's suburban ('96 with Vortec) occasionally runs rough. I had it scanned and the diagnosis was the injectors.

Anyone have a good source for the injectors? I understand that some of the engines use an injector unit that has to be replaced as one unit ($$$). Her year/motor apparently can have inj3ctors replaced individually.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Wether they can be changed one at a time or not, you still want to change them out with a matched set. 2 injectors pulled off of the same shelf, with the same part numbers, can flow completely different numbers. The difference can be enough to think that you didn't solve your problem. Get the matched set.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
okay if the injector's are messed up will it at least start? because we couldn't get it to do that.............what effect will a bad oxgen sensor have on it ?..........................this would be a 96 versoin anyone know about $$ for injector's........................ltr

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
buddy on mine just got his 98-? vortec running this weekend.

but, it has a miss. infact when you pull #1 plug wire, it runs

the same. and, if you pull #8 plug wire, it still runs the same.

so, it's not firing on #1,8. checked timing. replaced cap and

rotor. has excellent spark at both plugs. I think it's an injector

problem.

just for FYI, my wife's 97 Astrovan, (6cyl 4.3 vortec) had an

injector problem arond thanksgiving. toot it to the dealer,

they did an "injector" cleaning. free. it's covered under warranty

for a known problem with the vortec motors. what I want to

know is what did they actually do????

there is a schrader vavle on the pressure-line going into the

vortec manifold. I'm thinking they use some sort of tool that

forces injector cleaner into all the ports. any thoughts on this?

I'm going to be calling my local dealer to find out what they did

to the wifes van...............

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, you guys are going to make me cry...this Vortec motor has been nothing but a huge strain on my wallet...FYI go TBI...way cheaper, and easier!

I plan on calling a few people today to help figure it out. I may not make it to TDS, but either way I want this thing running!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts