Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search, but didn't find anything. Does any one here have a zuk that is a designated dune runner? If so, what are the specs? I'm thinking of starting a new project "Sandmurai". Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seen some at glamis that were riding on full paddles. . .checked them out and both had f&r 4 link wih 14" coilovers. Both were running some v6, looked the vortec chevy. Id say the about the only things youll need would be good tires and a big engine; its all about momentum in the sand when your not backed by a v8. . .

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is to keep a fairly stock drivetrain, but go big horsepower. A 2.0 liter is in the works. I'd like to go with a 31" tire, but I'm not sure what would be a good streetable sand tire. I'm going to keep the 4:1 tcase and 5.12 R&P. I will still be able to drive to the dunes with this combo. I'm also thinking about ditching the YJ springs up front and running Trail Toughs Bonz eye springs. I was told that the sand will take it's toll on my axle housings, so I'm also thinking of welding on some axle trusses. I'm open for suggestion on the trusses. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I race my LWB pick-up in the UK, mud, hard gravel tracks etc, very little sand, however much will be the same. I have a tuned 1600 16v, even this puts a lot of strain on the drive train during a race (I only have 215-85-15's) about 30's.
I have bent 3 housings, 2 of those were trussed, finally cured by sleeving the axles with 1/4" wall tube, rear is fitted with chrome moly fully floating 1/2 shafts & a welded diff (tried a Lockright but broke it twice within 8 miles of the start of the race!)
Front has standard shafts, I will be upgrading to Newfields as these do not last (2 in 4 races)
Transfer box will rip out the mountings, I have upgraded the flex mounts & then stripped the threads on the transfer box casing, I have now added extra "ears" that pick up on the bolts holding the two 1/2's of the box together.
Everthing else takes a pounding, I use locktite on every bolt, if I don't they come loose.
If you think any of my experience is transferable to what you intend to do Pm me & I can run through more of what I have done, I will be glad to help.

Tim

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
My goal is to keep a fairly stock drivetrain, but go big horsepower. A 2.0 liter is in the works. I'd like to go with a 31" tire, but I'm not sure what would be a good streetable sand tire. I'm going to keep the 4:1 tcase and 5.12 R&P. I will still be able to drive to the dunes with this combo. I'm also thinking about ditching the YJ springs up front and running Trail Toughs Bonz eye springs. I was told that the sand will take it's toll on my axle housings, so I'm also thinking of welding on some axle trusses. I'm open for suggestion on the trusses. Any more ideas?
I have a couple of friends that have run mostly dunes in their Samurais. I would say the rides were tame for sand vehicles and mostly served to drag the kids and cooler around in the dunes. They could go must places as they had good dunes driving skills and they kept the vehicles light. they ran 16 valve motors and moderate gearing. Ran about a 31" tire, or a pair of paddles in the rear if you want to deal with the comfort issues of paddles and a low horsepower motor.

Regardless of what you do to the Samurai it will always be a so-so sand vehicle. Anything you do to most any street car is going to be a so-so sand vehicle. So keep that in mind.

I highly suggest a cage for sand dunes.

If you plan to be jumping, you will kill your axles.. you will kill most any axle jumping.

A stockish Samurai is a fair amount of fun in the sand.. Beat the shit out of it, and it keeps coming back for more.

I like turbo powered motors in the sand. Attached is a picture of my 2.0 liter turbo Sammi on 37" tires in the sand at the Hammers (playing in 2wd). It was not a sand car, but it had the power to play in the sand.

-Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got a 1.6 and 33's sometimes and 35's sometimes, and it goes good in glamis with the wife and 2 or 3 little ones and jumps good to. I also use it for crawling and trails.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a couple of friends that have run mostly dunes in their Samurais. I would say the rides were tame for sand vehicles and mostly served to drag the kids and cooler around in the dunes. They could go must places as they had good dunes driving skills and they kept the vehicles light. they ran 16 valve motors and moderate gearing. Ran about a 31" tire, or a pair of paddles in the rear if you want to deal with the comfort issues of paddles and a low horsepower motor.

Regardless of what you do to the Samurai it will always be a so-so sand vehicle. Anything you do to most any street car is going to be a so-so sand vehicle. So keep that in mind.

I highly suggest a cage for sand dunes.

If you plan to be jumping, you will kill your axles.. you will kill most any axle jumping.

A stockish Samurai is a fair amount of fun in the sand.. Beat the shit out of it, and it keeps coming back for more.

I like turbo powered motors in the sand. Attached is a picture of my 2.0 liter turbo Sammi on 37" tires in the sand at the Hammers (playing in 2wd). It was not a sand car, but it had the power to play in the sand.

-Wayne

Thanks for the pics rotozuk:D

I guess I should have described my intent in more detail. Because I plan to drive my samurai 250 miles to the sand dunes it unfortunatly is going to have to be a so-so sand vehicle. I guess what I'm looking for is peoples experience, good or bad, with sand set-up zuks.

My current set-up works very well (YJ's all around, 1600 16v, 32"mud tires). My interest is in setting up different springs, motor & tires, and still being able to drive to the sand while pulling a 10' trailer with my Polaris on it.

For inspiration, feel free to post photos of your sammi in the sand:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I want some more info on the turbo 2L please.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A sami will not take a sustained beating in any way shape or form unless you are talking point A-B stuff and taking the low roads.

I have a 4.3 in my sami based buggy. I also have a sand rail and a sport quad. The buggy never goes to the dunes. :p

Eventually you will destroy it if you try to aggressive dune it. Things that are relatively light, powerful and have decently controlled/valved travel are the most fun in the sand (the exception being a V8 powered long travel rail). This is an expensive proposition no matter what way you look at it.

I would suggest taking it easy and putting really good nitrogen shocks on your ride (think bilstein, fox, king, sway away) preferably remote resivoir. This will go a long way in the comfort factor. The other thing is suspension seats. I pitty the fools that do not think this is necessary or that their seats from an XYZblahblah are good enough. Do your back a favour and set it up properly.

Leaf springs front and rear are going to be tough to deal with in a longer travel configuration. lots of thin leaves are probably best.

I run air-shocks on the buggy and coil-overs on everything else. So I'm just going on limited experience here.

Though pricey, air-bumps would go a long way as well.
Sorry to make your mission more expensive.

A wide floating tire would also be best. Becareful with airing down though. Sand tends to like to peal back beads.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i live in reedsport by winchester bay dunes and see lots of em...the most bad ass ones that go vary good have RX-7 motors...and cut 33x14 boggers:smokin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is used almost exclusively in the sand.

It has a SPOA. A traction bar of some sort is a requirement. For tires, a mellow all-terrain works best. Aired down to 8 lbs or so. I use BFG all-terrains.

It can't handle running flat out across rough sand (*Cough*sand lake *cough*), but I don't have any interest in that, anyway. I've added an axle truss on both ends. Yes, I jump it on occasion. :smokin:

What it can do, Is climb almost anything and it totally rocks the trails.

It's powered by a fuel injected 13B rotary, by the way. :D RX7 transmission. LOTS of power, weighs 2120lbs in it's sand uniform.

Lots more pics and build info here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/575626

I've been running it out there for 5 years, so if you have any other questions, fire away. Maybe we could arrange as test ride sometime.

-Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thats what im talking about Joe! Is that an S4 or S5 engine??

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's an '86 S4, rebuilt, mild port work (just basically clean up, as not much else can be done with a 6 port), custom header and exhaust, premix, simplified custom harness, K&N intake, rebuilt and balanced injectors.

Good fun! :)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
It fit's well, after I whacked 6" of dead space out of the trans tail housing and output shaft. :evil:

Nice tranny mod. I tried to put the same motor in my Samurai some years back, but with the Automatic and the trans length was a deal killer. Then I fell into the Mitsubishi 4G63 turbo and never looked back. :grinpimp: Spins more RPMs then a stock 13B, has 40 hp more in stock trim, and easy to pump another 100 hp out of it. The 13B is a sweety though. Nice to see one running around!

-Wayne

·
Registered
66 Posts
i love the trans work i put a 12a in my zuk i made the front longer but u cant tell......i love it !!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts