Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You are asking a lot from a single rig. A sand rig should be light with a soft long travel suspension and plenty of power. I guess one out of two's not bad ;)

You might get some ideas from the Glamis site, there's a few Sammi owners on the Truck and Jeep board.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php

I've been building a multi purpose trail rig for my daughters. They love the dunes and we try to get out to Silver Lake at least once a year. It has a linked rear with soft springs, stock locked axles, GRSII and a 1.6 8V. This year I had SkatTrak make some paddle tires from 295/50R15 BFG Radial TA's. Grip is good, but I still have to use 4WD to climb the steep dunes. Wish it had a softer front suspension and about 50 more HP...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Air bumps?

I'm lovin' the pics:D

Has anyone played around with air bump stops on a leaf sprung vehicle? I've been thinking about it and in theory I could keep my YJ's and long shocks and use an air bump to dampen the suspension while running in rough sand or whoops. They are expensive, but if it works...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've looked into it, but my problem (for reaching any speed on rough sand) is a lack of up travel. I think it would help me to get some 1.5 lift springs, but with the same shocks in order to transfer some of the available travel to the upside. Then add the air bumps.

I keep threatening to put on the Horizon Offroad Coil system, but with Fox coilovers instead of the regular springs. Then maybe a custom quick-disconnect sway bar setup for on the street.

Big $$$$, though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have 2 that are mostly used in the sand 90 percent of the time first one was built by kinkade racing or so the owner said. It has spring over lift king 2.5 resi shocks all around and a full cage and master-craft seats love it we beat it every day we drive it in the sand never let us down.

loved it so much built one into a t-Rex a samurai and a teryx combined quadruple bypass kings and hydro bumps looks like a utv or side by side love it so far.. they are not the fastest and they wont go up the big dunes but they are FUN and dependable.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
i think you'd be in low all the time to get it to move sand with a 1.3l needs a 16v or better in my opinion

·
Registered
593 Posts
i think you'd be in low all the time to get it to move sand with a 1.3l needs a 16v or better in my opinion
Usually run it in low with 4 people but high works good in high too, have headers and webber carb and a "high performance rebuilt motor" but it has 30 in tires so its not to bad. Going to get paddles to make it look more like a side by side and throw sand :eek: one day i may step up to the 16v if I find a good deal on an easy swap....

If any on knows of a 16 v swap setup let me know or pully and bracket for a side kick power steering set up pm me too

21 - 28 of 28 Posts