Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i just blew the motor in my sand rail again! so its time to sell and upgrade, I can't make up my mind weather to get back into the rocks or stay with the sand looking to spend about 15-25k and started thinking maybe i could find something that did good in the rocks and in the sand so whats out there. some pics or sugestions of rigs that do well all around

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you are coming out of a hot sandrail, a dual purpose vehicle is not going to seem that impressive in the sand, but for the rest of us, a light buggy with a LS1 or something is pretty fun in the sand, and it can hang with most of the VW based rails.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
For $25k, you could almost build-to-suit. Build a straight-axle buggy with compromises to do both things reasonably well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i agree with gordon, as thats probably the closest you will come to your vision. when i get back from the service, i plan on building a new chassis wrapped around an ls1. tho i said id never do it, im going to put in an ls1 just like everyone else. no more building light v6's to try and keep up. its mainly the sound that kept me thinking about it. you just cant get a v6 to sound good enough, tho i think im close. just build it light and low, but keep in mind you need some compression clearence more than rockcrawling exclusive suspension. gearing will be a bit different too.

jeremy

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I think Goat1's CJ7 is still the best example of a dual-purpose vehicle that I've seen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is one badass CJ, there was also a guy who had a cj in JP mag about a year ago. It was silver with a full tub.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
I think Goat1's CJ7 is still the best example of a dual-purpose vehicle that I've seen.

That is the first rig I thought of when I was reading this thread. Though I can tell you he's got a lot more than $25K in that thing. At the end of Third and Reverse when he puts on the show in the desert with it is awesome. He launches that thing and it just soaks it up like a speed bump.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Spike5421 said:
That is one badass CJ, there was also a guy who had a cj in JP mag about a year ago. It was silver with a full tub.
That's the same Jeep, but he's changed it since it was featured in JP.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
That's the same Jeep, but he's changed it since it was featured in JP.

i was gonna say.. wasnt the one in jp, goats as well?

:smokin: rig.

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
Thanks for the compiments guys, my jeep does well in the Sand, desert and rock crawling but there are comprises made to each one for it to be able to do all. I have fun with it but it would be nice to go faster in the desert/dunes and do the harder obsticles in JV and Moab, but I dont thing I could do that with one vehicle, I am contemplating selling it and building a pure sand rail/prerunner and different hardcore rockbuggy.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What the hell am I looking at here?

Is the pitman arm connected to a ram? Where is the tie rod going?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The pitman arm is connected to a short rod that goes to a swing arm and then a second longer drag link connects from the swing arm to the tie rod. The point is to get the longest tie rod you can and get all the bumpsteer stuff correct.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A little description of the sand rail would be helpfull. If you are going to get the 25K from the sale of your rail, you've likely got something with mid-long travel, OK power etc. It will be hard to get near the same results you are used to in the sand out of a 4x4. With that said if you build it light and balanced you could have fun hanging it out. Wheelies are a thing of the past though...

That's why I have both. It'd take a lot of power to get my rock buggy to wheelie! :flipoff2:

Yldkat's buggy is another good example of a dual purpose rig.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts