Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Got a sand blaster from hf, its the 40lb tank type. Any way, I am using it for the first time and I am having a little trouble. I am using Quickrite medium grain sand (which looks really fine to me) and I have nozzles in sizes 2.4mm, 2.6mm, 3.2mm, 3.6mm. I have tried using this sand with all four nozzles, some clog, some seem too big to gain the neccessary pressure. My question is, what size tip and what type of media are you using. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
you have to much sand in it. put about 1/3 of the contaners capacity in there and see what happens.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
You need to buy blasting sand. It is washed and dried and sifted. You need a huge honking air compressor and it's going to take you forever. BTDT

·
Registered
452 Posts
mine works great.

defanately need to buy the corect sand
otherwise it sucks....

the best sand For general purpose use is
made out of slag so its not really sand.

get the finest that you can aford

its really not that exspensive.

I tried recycleing the sand useing a screen
that works but again it takes to long

I have done a couple of vehicles useing
this system.

first time I used a 4.5 horse compressor
worked ok but compressor was working hard,

I buy my sand from a place in tacoma
star somethng? check the phone book

now 80 gallon 7hp compressor will run any thing

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
silica blasting media..................... not "sandbox" sand

the white is for fine work the dark grey rules on heavy rusted stuff, but is twice the price.

Northerntool.com has a bunch of good sandblasting stuff....we have them local so i just go pick up the 100# bags ;)

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
The brand I use is "Lapis Lustre" from Orchard Supply. Works real nice.

Nothing wrong with playgound sandbox sand, but make sure to get the fine stuff. If you get the playground quality sand, it's nice because it's low dust. (We don't want our children getting lung cancer from making sand castles..)

-tom

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I am just dropping my rims off at the local metal shop in the morning to have them sadnblasted - much less hassle ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I hears some whare that silica sand is
dangerous to your health.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Land Crusher said:
I hears some whare that silica sand is
dangerous to your health.

Only if you breathe it, so don't do that. Get a GOOD resperator and make sure you're well clear of the dust cloud before removing it. It's a good idea to blast in a tent or some kind of shelter for that reason. I've done a fair bit of blasting with an HF unit, it works fine. Just don't fill it up too much, make sure you have LOTS of air, use decent sand, and a water seperator doesn't hurt either. I got my sand from HD, I just told them I wanted "sandblasting sand" and they took me right to it. Cost about $4/100lb bag.

It's the fastest way I know of to remove lots of rust. But it's MESSY. I only use it when it's a big job or the workpiece is so oddly shaped that it would be a PITA to use another method on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts