Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sarting an old project

I started working on this thing quite awhile ago and lost ambition so it just sat for a long time but here it is now, got some new stuff.

85' Pickup
Allpro 5" springs front and rear
TG cross over
TG doubler
AA 4.7 rear case
4.10 gears
Weleded rear
and some tube. :D

When I dragged the truck from down back it didn't run. A radiator, alternator, and a battery later it was up and going again.

I took advantage of the deal on the bender/starter kit from protools and got myself a bender and a notcher.

I started by making a simple bumper, other than the fact it hits on the marker lights I am happy with it for my first time bending.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My frame under the rear of the cab and the rest of the way back is in typical rotted out junk shape. Instead of hunting down another frame and shipping it here I decided I would cut my old frame off and make my own. I will cut it right in front of the old crossmember mount and go tube from there back. I am using 1.75 x .120 DOM tubing and will be stacking one ontop of the other. Today I made the driverside frame rails, when I get more tube I will do the other side and start cutting out the existing frame.

I will be ordering tires hopefully tomorow but I am undecided on what to get. Right now its between 38 x 12.50 TSL and 37 X 12.50 SSR. I know the SSR isn't as good on the trail as the TSL but I will be doing alot of street driving. I can't see spending $1000 on tires that will wear out in a year so I will most likely go SSR.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
looks like a nice platform to start from, that cab is real clean for new hampshire.

i personally wouldnt go as high as a 5" spring, maybe a 3" lift

unless you wanna cruise the hampton beach drag with it....:flipoff2::flipoff2:

looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I wouldn't go SSR. If you are going to buy new tires, and you plan to drive on the street alot, then get some MTR's, or some X-Terrains. Both are decent tires, with good on and offroad manners.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i personally wouldnt go as high as a 5" spring, maybe a 3" lift

unless you wanna cruise the hampton beach drag with it....:flipoff2::flipoff2:
After seeing how tall it is I wish I had gone with less spring. But I am kinda screwed now. I did take a leaf out of the front pack and they are still new so hopefully it will settle some.

Finding tubing is getting to be a pain in the ass around here, nobody seems to deal with it. :mad3:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
After seeing how tall it is I wish I had gone with less spring. But I am kinda screwed now. I did take a leaf out of the front pack and they are still new so hopefully it will settle some.

Finding tubing is getting to be a pain in the ass around here, nobody seems to deal with it. :mad3:

i'd scour the yards for some junkyard springs are your friend, you could easily make some $ back selling your all pro stuff, ive sold stuff on NEOW real fast, honest people.

buying tubing in VT is even worse.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Last night I was driving around the yard a bit when I noticed antifreeze all over the place. So tonight when I got home from work I took a look at it to see if it was the water pump or the head gasket. As soon as I pulled the dipstick it was obvious it was the head gasket...just what I needed. :mad3: This engine smokes like crazy so I can't justify a new HG but there is a big wheeling event this weekend so I think I am going to make a mad dash to pull the engine out of another truck I have and put it in for saturday morning. :laughing:

I ended up finding a place right in town that will order me the tubing I want, I've got four sticks of 1.75 x .120 hrew on the way.

I also have a new set of 37" ssr's on the way.... I know not many people on here like them but I will see alot of time on the road and can't see buying tires just to watch them melt right off on the pavement. A few people I know have them and have had nothing but good things to say about them so I will try them. Not a whole bunch of rocks around here as far as crawling anyway.

Heres a picture of the donor truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since my last post I swapped engines and got to go wheeling. Saturday on the ride home I had death wobble so bad I couldn't go over 15 mph. Turns out my shackles weren't tight enough. After fixing that I went back out Sunday and ended up snapping my frame right over the rear axle.

Today I am working on my new frame section. I have bent up all four tubes and tacked them together trying to be as square as possible. Later today I will hopefully have the back section of the existing frame cut off and prep it for the new piece.

My tires ended up coming in mid week so I haven't got to try them yet, just mounted them and did a little flexing in the yard to see where I will need to trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Last night I was driving around the yard a bit when I noticed antifreeze all over the place. So tonight when I got home from work I took a look at it to see if it was the water pump or the head gasket. As soon as I pulled the dipstick it was obvious it was the head gasket...just what I needed. :mad3: This engine smokes like crazy so I can't justify a new HG but there is a big wheeling event this weekend so I think I am going to make a mad dash to pull the engine out of another truck I have and put it in for saturday morning. :laughing:

I ended up finding a place right in town that will order me the tubing I want, I've got four sticks of 1.75 x .120 hrew on the way.

I also have a new set of 37" ssr's on the way.... I know not many people on here like them but I will see alot of time on the road and can't see buying tires just to watch them melt right off on the pavement. A few people I know have them and have had nothing but good things to say about them so I will try them. Not a whole bunch of rocks around here as far as crawling anyway.

Heres a picture of the donor truck.
not so obvious, I have seen more timing chain covers that have had an old loose chain eat a hole right through into a coolent passage, more then
I have seen blown Hgs. compression test will be a better tool for finding out without tearing it apart, you can swap out a cover & chain in 1 day even if you never did it before:)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Personally if it were me i would just take the extra step and change the head gasket. If it got HOT at all the head gaskets only a matter of time. Rather take 2 steps forward then 3 steps back. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Personally if it were me i would just take the extra step and change the head gasket. If it got HOT at all the head gaskets only a matter of time. Rather take 2 steps forward then 3 steps back. Just my 2cents
well he said the motor was not worth doing a HG repair, he was going to swap motors, if he just wants a quick repair the t chain cover is fast if that is the problem;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts