Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a marlin crawler SAS kit and am installing the frame tubes for the shackles and am not sure what is meant by their instructions, they say to center the tube in the frame, then push out 1/4". also, the shackles included in the kit are straight with spacers for the spring end, but the pictured ones have bends with no spacers Anybody know if thats a new style or what? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The spacers go on the spring end of the shackles. This is to make up for the frame (and the shackle tubes) being wider than your leaf springs are.

As far as centering the tube, then pushing it out 1/4", I don't know. You're essentially gonna want the tubes set so that your shackles will line up squarely with the front spring hanger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks but the bolts included with the shackles dont fit through the spring with the spacer and shackles on it. and on the 1/4" part push it outside the frame rails that much or inside frame? thanks again.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
93TOYforME said:
thanks but the bolts included with the shackles dont fit through the spring with the spacer and shackles on it. and on the 1/4" part push it outside the frame rails that much or inside frame? thanks again.
Outside the frame. If you have straight shackle plates then you should have 4 150mm bolts. Did you get front & rear shackles?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
they use to sell the shackles that tapered in. i met a guy in sac that got his sas kit/ and truck done about 3 months before me. his were tapered in. either they still have them and throw them in whenever or they just have the straight ones now. mine are straight. i prefer the look of the tapered but w/e, what can you do....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, thanks, i'll pick up some longer bolts tomorrow. but for the frame tubes by push out they mean towards the outside of the truck right? I just want to make sure i do this right the first time.thanks

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Probably best to measure the tubes in the frame to be sure. Make them even side to side and also make them align to the front hanger. The factory tubes are about 1.4" wider than the spring eyes and front hangers, so if you set the inside spacing between the two tubes 1.4" less than the width of the front hanger, or the outside 1.4" wider than the front hanger then it should be all lined up properly. And you might want to consult some other instructions:

http://allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=64

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
93TOYforME said:
thanks for the help. is there any advantage to the wide body shackles over the tapered ones?

nope, basically just for looks. im sure its a lot easier for marlin to have straight ones and some spacers then spend all that time getting them bent.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
either way though, when your at that much compression the non tapered will go back just barely more after the tapered would. you wouldnt be getting that much more out of it, but what your saying is true.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
kiyul4130 said:
either way though, when your at that much compression the non tapered will go back just barely more after the tapered would. you wouldnt be getting that much more out of it, but what your saying is true.
That is funny, when I went to straight ones I gained about one inch more after I modified the body mount!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay, one more question for you the upper A arm mount is shared with the motor mount, so now with it cut off there must be a loss of structural integrety, have you guys just plated the opening in or let it be? its the 3.0 Thanks.

·
Registered
25,056 Posts
93TOYforME said:
okay, one more question for you the upper A arm mount is shared with the motor mount, so now with it cut off there must be a loss of structural integrety, have you guys just plated the opening in or let it be? its the 3.0 Thanks.
Plate the opening, and make sure that the rest of the mount that has the factory welds to the frame is in good shape (no cracks in the weld).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts