Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone, I'm new to this forum and have recently purchased an 87 4runner that is completely stock as of now. I'm going to jump head first and perform the sas but need more than a few opinions. I've want to spend about 1,000 bucks therefore the kits are out of my range. I plan on using marlin springs, ford shock mounts, all pro hysteer kit. I'm left with one thing, what about hanging the springs?? I will most likely purchase the rear shackles seperatly but what can be done with the front hangers with out using a kit??
I'm not a fabricator of any kind, if someone had simple plans I could easily have them built by a buddy. Also any opinions on the rear suspension would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
search the classifieds for the high steer, that should save you some money. whats an extra $20-40 for rear hangers when you are already doing the rest?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
yotatilla said:
Sky Manufacturing sells a bling hanger kit for like $200, it comes with the hanger, sleeves, jigs, and shackles. www.sky-manufacturing.com
In my opinion Skys hanger looks like a weak POS!!!!

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
300sniper said:
i have to agree with you on that.
And I have to agree w/ what you said.... the channel iron design just ain't cuttin' it. But for the money you could add a piece of flat bar to it and stregnthen it some.

Just go w/ the TrailGear kit.... you acan't beat that deal and free shipping!:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
/\ agree also, I used to live a few blocks from their shop and the first time I saw one of their hangers I just hated it, but I guess its pretty solid though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
front range has a kit for like 200 bucks its got the front spring hanger and some other little things
and put some 63'' chebbie springs in the back with like a 3 or 4 inch block and that = good ride and flex

·
Registered
54 Posts
tmlaz87 said:
...I've want to spend about 1,000 bucks therefore the kits are out of my range. I plan on using marlin springs, ford shock mounts, all pro hysteer kit. I'm left with one thing, what about hanging the springs?? I will most likely purchase the rear shackles seperatly but what can be done with the front hangers with out using a kit??
I'm not a fabricator of any kind...
I started my SAS last weekend and I got most of my stuff used. The only Items I bought new were BBCS shocks, marlin tubes/jigs, shackles, axle rebuild kit, and shock hoops. I spent just over $1k if you include the front axle. I still need a few things like new bushings/misc hardware. My suggestion is buy the TG kit for $1100. You can get the same kit from sky if you rather buy there. It can be a painful swap if you buy all your sh!t used and rely on others to build/modify parts. If I was to do it over I would buy the TG kit, just the peace of mind that everything is new and the package is complete is worth the extra $200 or so I saved. I have searched this a lot and the only people I have found that do this swap for under $1k are people who have a lot of the parts/steel already, or they get freebies, or both. Its VERY difficult to do this swap for under $1k if you are starting from scratch. High steer and front axle alone will be ~$500.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
OOP'S said:
In my opinion Skys hanger looks like a weak POS!!!!
IMO they all do :D

·
Linkoligist...
2,229 Posts
Don't by sky's hanger.... already bent the crap out of it and i feel like i need to brace it.. shouldn't have to... goin to cut it of and put on marlins....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks alot all of you your info was very helpful. Now what about the rear? I dont really want to use a block for lift, and I dont want to pay 700 bucks for a complete lift. Who sells a good rear hanger that will work with the 63" chevy springs?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I just did this a couple weekends ago... didn't cost anywhere close to a grand. I used Marlins HiSteer kit, their front hanger kit, rear springs up front, homemade shock mounts w/ 15" travel shocks, and some Ford 57's in the rear. Sits great and was cheap. There is a writeup about it on here someplace w/ LOTS of pics.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
there's hundreds of pics posted here on home brew front hangers and rear spring mounts-so if you have tape measure and a buddy that can fab (for free) you can build your own for cheap and they may end up stronger than you can buy. it's real easy. its just a toy truck-not the space shuttle. it all boils down to the time/money/skills debate which has been discussed here many times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts